What colour decking oil?

Aberdeenleaf

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi, all
We've got new decking which I want to treat with oil.
Screwfix own brand oil gets good reviews and is on offer, but they give no clue about colour and no sample pots.
Their colours are Pine, Cedar and Oak.
I've attached a photo that shows the colour of our windows, which of those three options is most likely a match(ish)?
doors.png
doors.png

Thanks, I did see that but it's very expensive.
£42 for 2.5L when I can get 10L of the Screwfix own brand for £40.00
They just don't do mahogany.
Do you know if Cedar is darker than oak, or vice versa?

They are just different colours. Cedar is a orange colour, oak is hard to describe a colour, beige type of colour.
Screwfix do a mahogany decking stain

They are just different colours. Cedar is a orange colour, oak is hard to describe a colour, beige type of colour.
Screwfix do a mahogany decking stain

Thanks, but I've decided against stain and going for oil.

Be careful to read the guidelines of whatever oil you buy, some say you need to apply a preserver prior to the oil which ratchets up the cost considerably

My deck still in action after 20 years, Over the years I have used many Oil's. Dail, Screwfix, some crap Duck oil, and finally I stick to Ronseal "Natural" Deck oil.
I find any coating that tries to change the colour of wood never ever works in the long term and the Sun will make sure of that. But I am FULL agreement Never use Decking "Killer of wood" Stains.

IMO I would hold off applying any treatment to newly installed treated timber. Until the decking has weathered, even for just one year, the application won’t be absorbed into the timber. Might not look great, but it will look worse next year when irregular absorption leaves patches.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom