Question What codec

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jimmyjinx, Jan 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jimmyjinx

jimmyjinx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi I have an yamaha av reciver and sky hd what codec should I use when I have a digital signal to the reciver in either dolby digital 2ch stereo or 5.1 dolby digital. straight ,dolby digital, pro logic or nothing
    Thanks

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,426
    Dolby Digital is an audio format and not a mode you can apply. Pro Logic isn't a format and is a type of processing used to create pseudo channels for channels of audio that are absent. You can leave the receiver set to the Pro Logic II SURROUND DECODER mode and the receiver will detect whether Pro Logic would be required to create pseudo channels. If the incoming audio consisted of discrete 5.1 then Pro Logic would not be applied. The receiver would however apply the processing to 2 channel audio is detected and create pseudo 5.1. Most people leave their TV source set to a Pro Logic or similar SURROUND DECODER mode because TV broadcasts are a mixture of discrete 5.1 or 2 channel stereo. The receiver would automatically apply Pro Logic in association with stereo content to create pseudio 5.1 when required, but it would be overridden if Dolby Digital 5.1 was detected.

STRAIGHT would result in you only ever getting 5.1 when the broadcast actually had such audio. If a broadcast only had stereo audio then the receiver would not apply any SURROUND DECODER modes to it while using the STRAIGHT mode so you'd only ever get either stereo or 5.1 depending upon what the content was encoded with.

3. jimmyjinx

jimmyjinx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great thank you I've set my reciver to pro logic 2 movie my problem now is the sound is crackly when it's reciving 2 ch digital its fine when reciving pcm though