What clariy ADSL box do I need?.....

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by MrSkipsey, Feb 3, 2009.

1. MrSkipsey

MrSkipsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I live in a block of flats and have one phoneline.
    The connection box for this is in the front room and is the square shape with the phone jack in the centre and a screw either side.
    It is not the one that once unscrewed, seperates the lower half. It is the one that, once unscrews, seperates the whole thing from the back box.

Ive looked at clarity to see what one I need but it has 'images not availible' so Im unable to distinguish between the few listed as to what one I can use as a direct replacement.

Can anyone help me with what ADSL conversion box I need to replace the existing one?

Mike.

**Think I needed the LJ4F box from Clarity so have ordered one plus the 'tool' for it. Ill let you all know how it goes when it arrives.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
  3. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    That is your BT Master Socket an you are not allowed to change it. If you need new one you have to get BT to do it as it is the 'Demarcation point' between their wiring and yours. If you change and cause any problems you will get a large bill plus possibly a trip to court on top.

Once BT have installed a modern NTE5 Master Socket, you are allowed to chage the Faceplate for a pre-filter type.

If you think that your current Master Socket is causing a problem then you need to tell you ISP who will arrange for Openreach to change it - possibly for one with a pre-filtered faceplate.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. MrSkipsey

MrSkipsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If I want it changed will BT change it or does there have to be a fault for it to be changed?

My only reason for changing it is to get a slightly faster BB speed. Would this be an acceptable reason for them to change it without a charge?

5. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    you could ring tell them you got a very old socket that needs changing

6. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Changing the socket, as such, is unlikely to improve your Broadband speed.

If you do not have extensions connected via it, changing it will NOT improve your speed.

If you do have extensions, then ensuring that they are only connected via connector 2 and connector 5 MAY improve your speed.

Openreach will fit newer NTE5 boxes foc for the subscriber if they think that it will improve things but they can only be called out by your ISP.