Answered What centre to match Wharfedale 220's

Taing

Novice Member
Hi All,

I'm new and am after some advice.

I recently updated my from speakers to a Pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220's, which I got at a good price. I am looking to update my centre speaker to match the 220's. I have about £150 budget to replace the centre and have been looking at the following

Wharfedale Diamond 220c, which I can't get new but there is one on Ebay @ £140 + P&P
Wharfedale 11CC,
Wharfedale 11CS, which is outside the budget but may be possible as long as OWMBO doesn't find out the real cost, lol.

Which would be the best or is there anything else that would be a good match and worth considering?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Taing
One member asked directly from Wharfedale and they recommended the 11 serie center for 200 serie main speakers!

Pick the 11CS model (130mm mid-bass drivers)! It would be very similar to your mains and likely better in general than the small CC. Think it this way, center channel is one of the most important speaker on HT system as it`s pushing large amount of stuff you hear on films soundtrack! I would always buy the better model if there is couple to choose from.

Second option and likely cheaper would be if you have space for third 220 as center channel. Matching front three = ideal scenario! But how many can keep it vertical upright at the needed height, even horizontally laying it could be too "fat" and block the picture. One member bought another pair of 220 as they go very cheap 2nd hand, there is even picture here somewhere of the 220 as center channel laying.

Last edited:

Taing

Novice Member
Thanks @Gasp3621

A Third 220 would be too big as a centre, I would prefer to have them upright rather than on their side and there is not enough room between top of unit and TV.
The best option will be to stretch the budget a bit an look at the 11CS, I can get it new for slightly more than the second hand Diamond 220c.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks @Gasp3621

A Third 220 would be too big as a centre, I would prefer to have them upright rather than on their side and there is not enough room between top of unit and TV.
The best option will be to stretch the budget a bit an look at the 11CS, I can get it new for slightly more than the second hand Diamond 220c.

Ah sorry didn´t notice there is 220C available, my bad. :facepalm: Well all i can say is most people would jump to "matching" center channel from same serie. 220C shares exactly same drivers as in your 220 main speakers! But the thing is there is always going to be slight mis-match sound wise as the center channel is turned horizontally, which isn`t optimal when having M-T-M orientation. It is very likely that the new 11CS serie sounds very similar to 200 serie and as i posted Wharfedale recommends the 11 serie with 200 speakers, so that does come from manufacturer straight. It`s really up to you which you choose. If you want closest tonal match then 220C is a no brainer, but could the 11CS be clear step up from that one? Center channel pushing so much information out, i would always choose the best available as long as it`s from same brand. Then again many people does the opposite and wouldn´t change it. :)

j00pY

Standard Member
I just went through this and bought a 11CS to go with my 220s, as I couldn't find a black 220C to buy. I think that it sounds pretty natural when things are panning between my front 3 speakers. OWMBO didn't even notice a new 3x bigger center speaker until I pointed it out!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom