What centre speaker to buy?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by AdamKeni, Mar 6, 2013.

1. AdamKeni

AdamKeni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it just me is it hard to find centre speakers now adays?

I'm currently looking to buy one that'll work with my current setup - Yamaha RXV471, currently with a 5.1 setup of Bose Accoustimass (the old passive system).

The dialog is fairly rubbish from the Bose system. In the future I want to update all my speakers, but first off I want to buy a decent centre speaker.

Could anybody recommend one I can buy in Ireland or the UK for around £150-200?

Really appreciate any help! Cheers.

-Adam

2. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Depends on what you're looking for.

There's plenty of centers that can be found but most will be designed to work well as part of a package. There's nothing stopping you from using it with other make and models, it just won't sound right or tonally balanced across the front 3.

Centres that are not designed as part of any package are, for me, just hit and hope centres because of that and no telling if they blend well with any existing kit until you try it.

However your bose speakers are the size of large ice cubes and looks like they will struggle to produce anything half decent and be overpowered in sound by any decent centre. Just my opinion.

If it were me i would put the money towards some decent fronts. For £250

TANNOY MERCURY V4 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS £250

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.4 SPEAKERS £250

And add a centre when funds allow

Tannoy Mercury VC Centre Speaker £114

Or if floorstanders are not for you look at bookshelf speakers.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. AdamKeni

AdamKeni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advise!

Yeah tbh I was worried about a centre overpowering them, however they actually do pack a decent punch, plus the RXV471 has a calibration system with a mic, so I imagine it'll tone down the centre speaker.

I imagine whatever centre I choose, I'll probably end up buying the rest of the 'package' like you suggested. I just want to start with the centre as I'm fairly happy with the current setup plus I can't afford anything more than that right now! :D

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    I would be tempted to add another £50 to the budget and then try to find a set of Monitor Audio Vectors. These are getting scarce but you may be lucky. The package used to sell for £700 so have been a real bargain at their current price. They will also be a lot better than your current BOSE.

5. AdamKeni

AdamKeni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually bought a set of them for my brother over Christmas. They sounded very good actually, although I don't think it's where I'd want to end up. I'd like to build up a better collection with floor standers etc etc. at least if I bought a centre now I can add on later. If I buy a set of vectors I'll just have to restart again.