What centre speaker should I get ?

bigtipp

Hi guys. I currently have a bit of a mismatch with my front speakers and its bugging me. I had the tannoy SFX 5.1 set up and then got myself a pair of mordaunt short 914i floor standers.
Would I be better off getting myself a mordaunt short centre speaker to match ? If so which one would work well?.
Or should I just lose the floor standers and go back to the tannoy satellites?.
I'm finding that during a film when the action starts I'm losing a lot of clarity in the speech due to the bigger sound from the front left and rights.
Cheers.

DodgeTheViper

The Mordant Short Avant 905C would appear to be the centre that matches your 914's.

bigtipp

As you can tell I'm very new to all this. Do you think that will sort the problem in sound difference ?.
And that's a better option than using the little tannoys again correct ?

DodgeTheViper

I've just had a quick read. The mid bass drivers in the 905 appear to be a little smaller than those in the 914's so it may struggle to totally fill that centre gap.
It should certainly be a better match than the Tannoy satellite though, if that's what you're currently using.

bigtipp

Ok brilliant. Yes the satellite centre is what is currently in use. There a few 905 centres on flea bay for around £40. Seems a good price. Thanks.

Lord Essex

Before going for a new centre speaker try just using your floorstanders for the r/c/l channels. ie a 4.1 setup. You might be pleasantly surprised, of course you might not but I've always found that if you don't use 3 identical speakers for the front channels you will compromise the sound. Two floorstanding speakers on their own will definitely sound better than two floorstanders plus a small satellite

Last edited:

Lord Essex

It's very easy to do a back to back test to see which would be best for you, just switch your centre speaker off/on in your speaker settings

bigtipp

Well thanks guys I have switched off the centre speaker and the sound is so much clearer.
The tannoy is not a bad speaker at all It must of just been a different a case of a mismatch and different tones etc.
Might pick up the 905c centre just out of curiosity, but I'm certainly not in a rush now.
Thanks again.

bigtipp

I managed to buy the 905 centre speaker and it 100% sounds better now the front 3 speakers are all matching. I must admit I prefer the sound with a centre speaker.
Thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom