1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What center stand

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by hatcher, Nov 15, 2004.

1. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As is common with many home cinemas in these forums, I've use the Oppili from Ikea to house all the AV kit at the front of the room. This means the center channel sits on it.

[​IMG]

I seem to get a lot of resonances from the unit when I turn the volume up as it's a pretty light peice of furniture. This ruins an otherwise pretty respectable (IMHO) setup. Don't get any problems from the other four speakers and sub as they are all spiked floorstanders.

Has anyone got any ideas about how I can mount this speaker so that it's isolated. I don't think a wall mount would be any better as it's likely to just vibrate the stud wall. I was wondering if a short spiked stand sitting on the unit would work.

Any ideas?

Hatcher

2. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    OT

I wish I could get some of those Bertby wall cabinets - they've been withdrawn 'cos of poor spec screws. There's a product recall notice on the Ikea site you may want to check (I think they'll send out new screws or something...). HTH

3. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw that and enquired last time I was there. The only problem with it was that the two screws included that are to be used to hold it to the wall were not big enough and when used some units had fallen off people's walls. I didn't use them anyway so it wasn't an issue. It's a shame if they are not selling them for that reason as it's pretty easy to rectify.

4. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    exactly, that's the ONLY reason they won't sell the ****** things.

Of course it does lead to the hilarious situation where it's probably the ONLY product not out of stock in the warehouse 'cos they won't sell them.....

5. aquapiranha

aquapiranha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Aqua.
    Nice equipment rack but I really only wanted to isolate the center speaker. I'm quite happy with the oppili housing the electronics. It's an option though.
    Hatcher

7. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I know KEF do a centre stand for the reference range... Maybe that could be of some use?

I had a similar problem with my centre speaker. I managed to reduce the problem by using sorbothane feet.

Maybe you could experiment with some blu-tac first before laying out any money. Another thing I have heard people using are those isolation platforms or the feet. I can't say whether they will work but worth experimenting with if you can. Anything goes in this game!

8. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I'll look into Kef's stands. I've heard good things about sorbothane feet from the old 'get the most out of your turntable' days - where did you get yours from?

9. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Hatcher,

I got mine from my local dealer but I think they are readily available online. I found www.britishaudio.co.uk to be very good for all sorts of quirky little things that you must have! They have a set of 3 for £12 on there.

Seriously though, try some blu-tac first to see if it makes any difference before spending the money... Also, if at all possible, have you considered experimenting with maybe a marble slab or a paving slab under the speaker?

If nothing else, it's a good excuse to play at high volume! :D

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Definitely try blue tack if you havn't already. You could even decouple the speaker by placing a bit of wood between it and the equipment rack, obviously with some blue tack between both. Cheap to try at least.

11. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get yourself a pack of Auralex MoPads. I use them under my Linn Trikan to isolate it from the glass shelf of my TV stand very effectively. Conveninently they can be set at a variety of angles up or down to ensure your centre is on-axis. Details here, available from several suppliers in the UK.

12. flamingoboo

flamingoboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have had very good results using nordost pulsar points, not cheap, but very effective and soo soo sexy.

13. hatcher

hatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll look into all of them.
    cheers,
    Hatcher

14. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm also searching for a center stand. I found the VTI stand and the B&W stand. However, they're not tall enough (11 inches or so and I need about 15) and above that the B&W stand is discontinued.

I could not find the KEF stand.

Can anybody tell me if there are more centerstands like these, only taller?
    I'm searching for almost a year now!

Thanks!

15. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. JTinKaz

JTinKaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    B&W have a new Center speaker stand out in Feb 05. See attachment.

Attached Files: