1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What CD to buy!?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by brandonsweden, Oct 12, 2004.

1. brandonsweden

brandonsweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I am planning on buying a new CD player for my system. I am leaning towards the models from Arcam (73t or the new 192). I would like to know if anyone have any tips on how they work with my type of music and other equipment. I listen mostly to pop, but have some "light" rock and musicals as well, but it is mostly pop I play. At the moment I´m listening to Scissor sisters, Robbie Williams, and div. clubmusic with a lot of bass!
    I have a Denon 3805 reciever and a pair of B&W 602 S3 speakers. My current CD player is a NAD C521BEE, between the CD and reciever is a Audioquest Diamondback.
    Is the Arcams good for my system and my type of music, or do you recommend another brand?

Thanks
    /Kristoffer

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The CD73 will open up a bit more detail without dropping the beat from you previous NAD but you seriously need to demo the CD192 as it opens up a new level of detail...
    It is worth every penny extra but it will depend on whether the wallet allows, however if you buy a CD73 it is possible to upgrade to a CD192 and will only loose you an extra £100!

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the Cyrus CD6 which i think has been upgraded, it is a very dynamic performer lots of detail and punchy bass, i think it would suit you're music tastes.

John :)

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Buy a DAC, and check out if your Denon AV amp will be good enough to show the differences of the new CDP or DAC in the long run. Use search facility for both points FWIW - been covered loads of times.

5. brandonsweden

brandonsweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

I will probably buy the more expensive 192. The Cyrus brand can´t be found here in Sweden.
    Buying a DAC is not what I had in mind at this point of time, but thanks for the tip.
    The Denon 3805 is the second largest receiver that Denon has, do any of you have any thoughts about if it is a good partner to Arcam 192?

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    What is the aim here? If it is to improve your music then unless you have a terrible source (your NAD is more than adequate) your money would be better spent on something like a power amp. This may be a minority opinion but I believe the days of source being top priority are long gone.

I very much doubt you will feel you have got a good improvement for your money if you objectively compare the sound of your system between using the NAD and the Arcam.

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree in part, I'm sure you would notice a difference between the CD192 and your NAD, but not to the degree of adding something like an Arcam P90 to run your fronts, possibly would be best to try the P90 3 channel as then your front three would stay well matched.

8. Mark Ranson

Mark Ranson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been out this morning and upgraded from a cd72t to a cd192 and am over the moon with it.It is like someone else said there is more snap and it is just like the band has woken up.I think i`ll be up all night going through my total cd collection.I have got an A85 with a P75 going through Kef Q1`s and even the guy that demo`d it was impressed how the whole set up sounded.If you have similar and are thinking of the 192 do not hesitate go and purchase one !!!
    Regards
    Mark

9. petarst

petarst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have bought after 3 hours of listening NAD 542 cd player.
    I have listened many cd players but NAD won.
    What can I say is that for the price that i paid for it 395 euros with interconect here in Serbia no body can beat it. Even rotel rcd-2 can't be a better choice, so this is for my opinion very good option!

10. brandonsweden

brandonsweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This Saturday I went to my local dealer and got them to loan me the Arcam 73T and the 192. I tested them for two hours on Saturday and another two on Sunday. And toped it of with another hour Today (Monday).
    Here is what I found:

Comparing the two Arcam units with the NAD quickly showed that they both were superior to the NAD, of course the NAD unit costs between 450-850 euros less. But comparing the Arcam 73T with NAD 521BEE showed that the Arcam was tighter, more detailed and had more punch in the lower frequencies.

After that I started comparing the two Arcams. The conclusion I came to was that the sound of the Arcam 192 was more appealing than the 73T, but you have to test for yourself if you want to pay the extra 450 euros cause this is often a matter of taste,,,and wallet,,,.
    The 192 has a softer, tighter and more accurate timing. It positions the vocals tightly between the two speakers and plucks out the small details of a track. The sound is very pleasant to listen to, not so harsh like.
    The one category of music that finally made me decide was musicals. When I listen to a Swedish musical called “Kristina from Duvemala”(written by the two male members of Abba, and now translated to English from Swedish and will premiere on Broadway next year I think) where the lead female singer sings, I can hear her voice firmly placed between the speakers and the orchestra playing around me with “violin finger tapping” softly lifted out from the orchestra. I can’t in words describe how good this sounded.
    Later on Monday I bought the Arcam 192.
    If you want a really good CD and are prepared to pay around 1150 euros, this is a killer. Many of the competitors are more expensive but don’t necessarily play better. The sound is detailed, controlled (the song is tightly placed between the speakers), warm and soft without any harshness.

System:

Speakers: B&W 602 S3
    Interconnect: Audioquest Diamondback
    Receiver: Denon 3805
    CD: Arcam 192 (replaces NAD 521BEE)

11. brandonsweden

brandonsweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank yee´all for taking the time to answer my question!

/Kristoffer

12. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I would agree with the Cyrus CD player comments, they IMHO out perform the Arcam very easily. I had the CD33 for a 6 months but new from an early stage it was too clinical a cd player and lacked the warmth or emotion of other player... sad considering the price...

Good luck hunting

CH