1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What CD Player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Glasswalker, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right people.

I have a Pioneer DV-470 DVD Player, Yamaha DSP AX-620 Amp and Mission M72 fronts (centre and rears not important for this question). As we all know a DVD player just doesn't cut it on the CD playback stakes, my DV-470 is better than my previous DV-444 but it still isn't good to my ears.

What CD Player would you recommend me to add to this system? Looking around the £200-£300 mark. At some point I will add a seperate stereo amp but I'm hoping the Yam will be fine just dealing with the stereo for the moment. My tastes in music from very heavy (Lamb of God, Arch Enemy, Stampin' Ground), to intricate guitars and stuff with loads of detail like A Perfect Circle, Tool and Lacuna Coil.

Also, any ideas on what amp should I eventually add to complement it and save the Yam trying to cope with music.

Cheers.

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For two reasons I would reccomend trying NAD:
    1. C521BEE or C542 Will be good CD players at their price initially.
    2. If your receiver has Pre-outs then NADs amplifiers can all be run as the front two channels keeping all your sources plugged into the yamaha for convenience.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Second hand DAC : Do a search above. You have a fine transport already in your DVD player. £300 will buy you a lot of DAC second hand wise. One concern an upgrade in CD/DAC terms may be hideen by your 620s stereo ability.

4. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, may look at the DAC option. Although as you say CJROSS the stereo ability of the 620 may restrict the sound, hence I was thinking about a new CDP and then possible a stereo amp.

If I went CDP and stereo amp, how would I connect it all up? I assume the front speaker would be wired into the stereo amp? How do I then connect the stereo amp into the surround amp? Which I would obviously need to do for films.