What causes volume to decrease please

M9ADE3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I have my Amp calibrated because I had furniture change 3-4 months ago and after calibration I was switching Volume for couple days to find the closest sound as before and I found it which is 48 and satisfied with it like it was never changed (calibrated) but since 5 days I found that 48 is too low on all content and with my usual shows. Nothing changed in the room or anything related to the TV or Amp out of nowhere it changed I need to set to 53 to hear like before 48. Cables are tight also I ran full diagnostics on the physical things. In this case what might be the problem please ? I know I have to re-calibrate it but it’s good to understand the cause 1st. Amp is ONKYO TX-NR575E. Cheers all

Last edited:
Any changes in outside or inside ambient noises, even a cold or build up of ear wax could make a difference but furniture change could make a big difference- even though you didn't notice it immediately.

Any changes in outside or inside ambient noises, even a cold or build up of ear wax could make a difference but furniture change could make a big difference- even though you didn't notice it
Well i do use cotton buds on my ears daily after taking a bath every morning so it’s not that. And nothing else changed everything is same why would ambient noise changes so there’s something else which is unknown let’s see other opinions specially @dante01 he helped a lot back in the day to understand this industry and my set-up i will never forget his inputs either on dm’s or old threads.

The only way to really check is to use a meter at your listening position. I take it you are listening with the volume set on the absolute scale, ie, the more you turn the volume up the higher the number goes. You don't mention your AV amp but it's quite likely that the absolute scale is the default setting but you would get more information when changing to the dB scale.

When making a post like this it is pretty essential to mention exactly what amp you're talking about as members will invariably ask what it is.

The only way to really check is to use a meter at your listening position. I take it you are listening with the volume set on the absolute scale, ie, the more you turn the volume up the higher the number goes. You don't mention your AV amp but it's quite likely that the absolute scale is the default setting but you would get more information when changing to the dB scale.

When making a post like this it is pretty essential to mention exactly what amp you're talking about as members will invariably ask what it is.
You’re right but since I lost the old volume and I had to peak it a bit now I can’t compare with a db meter unless I’m re-calibrating. And sorry about the AMP details I edited it. And it’s the ONKYO TX-NR575E

I haven't seen anything from @dante01 since July, so I'm not sure if you'll hear anything back.

I'm not sure (haven't looked) at what EQ system your AVR uses. But I can confirm, for certain, that with Audyssey on previous Denon and Marantz models, I have experienced running a new EQ and then the volume level I need changing afterwards.

I don't know why it is but I promise this has happened. And I too thought "is it my ears" but it was confirmed by my wife that the level was similar/the same but just needed a difference master volume setting.

Can I ask is this across all inputs? The only reason for asking is years ago, I had something strange happen with a SkyHD box where the volume would fluctuate. Every so often the lip-sync would sometimes advance or retard to taking it outside of both devices abilities. I for a while thought it to be the AV Receiver (as it was notorious for faults) where in fact it was the SkyHD box

It's unusual for an AV Receiver to lose volume, but every signal can differ and even CD's differ from generation to generation. I also find that this also is also the same with streaming broadcasts today when viewing NetFlix, Amazon and Disney+ with the volume levels between 8+/- from my standard volume level just to hear the same volume level to my own ears

Can I ask is this across all inputs? The only reason for asking is years ago, I had something strange happen with a SkyHD box where the volume would fluctuate. Every so often the lip-sync would sometimes advance or retard to taking it outside of both devices abilities. I for a while thought it to be the AV Receiver (as it was notorious for faults) where in fact it was the SkyHD box

It's unusual for an AV Receiver to lose volume, but every signal can differ and even CD's differ from generation to generation. I also find that this also is also the same with streaming broadcasts today when viewing NetFlix, Amazon and Disney+ with the volume levels between 8+/- from my standard volume level just to hear the same volume level to my own ears
Hmm.. great question Sir, I didn’t check all inputs I will definitely do it today

Well i do use cotton buds on my ears daily after taking a bath every morning so it’s not that.

You say that but the opposite might be true at some point in time.

Apparently you shouldn't put anything in your ear that is smaller than your elbow. Indeed don't most manufacturers of cotton buds warn you against their use in the inner ear? If you are only using them on the outer ear then they will have nothing to do with the price of fish so it could well be 'that'.

Not that I think this is the cause of your problem, I'm not qualified to say either way, but nobody has picked up on this and it probably needs to be said if not for you but others reading this thread.

Problem solved. I unplugged my Amp power cable for over night and when i did i hit the power button on the Amp itself to make sure no power left (like xbox hard restart) and it WORKED. But it’s weird that it even did happen it the begging we are talking about calibrated Amp it should stick to whatever it was set to.

From the solution I'd rather guess you need to get the amplifier serviced. OTOH, such intermittent issues can be very hard to find.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom