What causes the lines that sometimes show up between blocks of scenery etc.

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by cjpaul, Sep 19, 2007.

1. cjpaul

cjpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    this is probably totally off the wall but is something i've seen before on computer games and was hoping it would no longer be evident in next gen title....now to explain (well try to!)

basically you know in some games if look you down on the ground or other scenery you can sometimes see the faint lines that look like gaps between segments of the rendered textures. have only really noticed this in graw2 (on PS3) to be honest but have come across it previously on other platforms.

anyone know what causes this...is it a sign of a not so good port? could it be possible that there's something wrong with my ps3 - although as i've said this has happened on other platforms so hopefully it's nothing to do with my ps3!

just curious as to what causes this more than anything else!

2. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Thats just poor texture coverage. A level or map in a game is first made up of untextured blocks or grids. When the texture is applied to the grid if the programmers haven't done a good job you will see gaps or spaces between each grid where the textures haven't been joined very well.