What Cat5E cable and wall plate to extend VM connection

ibedi1

Novice Member
Hi,

I am extending my VMBB connection into a new part of the house that gets no WiFi. We already use BT mesh Whole Home WiFi and will place a disk in the garage area we are converting. I am told we can run a cable from the VM router to a BT disk and it will join the home network. I want the cable to terminate in the garage extension to a wall face plate so there are no loose wires. I want to use a pre-RJ45 fitted Cat5 cable to plug directly into a wall plate module (from behind) as I just dont want to wire up an ethernet cable. Has anybody done this and what cable spec and wall plate did you use?

jimscreechy

Well the first answer is yes, you an add an additional disk to your BT Whole Home Network, but as far as I know they only support up to six devices and you've not said how many you currently have. Even though I've seen many posts they cannot be used via the ethernet cable in this sort off 'standalone' mode from the mesh network, they can be used and do work in this configuration... though if this is officially supported is another matter.

On the second issue, wiring a face plate for a neat installation is a relatively simple thing. and easy to do with a few tools (a punch-down tool, some cutters, and a screwdriver, a stanley knife or some strippers)

There are so many faceplates available but I'll go with the Amazon's choice for ease HERE

Is there a face plate at the VM router end already, or is this something you will also be putting installing in addtion to running the cable?

oneman

You can get pass through faceplates which have RJ45 internally for a ready made cable. However as mentioned above, wiring a punch down connector really is very easy, just make sure you get the cables in the right order.

One piece of advice, you might as well install 2 cables as the hardest part is running the cables and then you always have a spare if something goes wrong with the first cable.

ibedi1

Novice Member
Well the first answer is yes, you an add an additional disk to your BT Whole Home Network, but as far as I know they only support up to six devices and you've not said how many you currently have. Even though I've seen many posts they cannot be used via the ethernet cable in this sort off 'standalone' mode from the mesh network, they can be used and do work in this configuration... though if this is officially supported is another matter.

On the second issue, wiring a face plate for a neat installation is a relatively simple thing. and easy to do with a few tools (a punch-down tool, some cutters, and a screwdriver, a stanley knife or some strippers)

There are so many faceplates available but I'll go with the Amazon's choice for ease HERE

Is there a face plate at the VM router end already, or is this something you will also be putting installing in addtion to running the cable?
Thank you for your reply. We currently have three disks so will be adding a fourth. However, could you please clarify what you mean by 'cannot be used in stand alone mode'? The plan is to add the fourth disk connect it to the VMB router and have it join the BT home mesh network (so not standalone) which forums seem to suggest is possible. Many thanks.

ibedi1

Novice Member
You can get pass through faceplates which have RJ45 internally for a ready made cable. However as mentioned above, wiring a punch down connector really is very easy, just make sure you get the cables in the right order.

One piece of advice, you might as well install 2 cables as the hardest part is running the cables and then you always have a spare if something goes wrong with the first cable.
great advice re 2 cables ! thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom