What car?

Golf_turbo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well I'm 23 now and "grown up enough" (as the bird says!), to move out with her, but the M3 has gotta go!

I have about 9k in the car fund.

I don't use the car that much 6k miles a year (work is only 2 miles) insurance is no problem, neither is running costs (to an extent) !

What can you guys recommend?

I been looking at

2003 Golf MK4 R32's
2005 Golf MK5 GTI's (DSG pref)
2005 Audi 1.9 TDI (with DSG) could be a bit slow for me?
2005 Audi 3.2 V6 (again with DSG)
2002 Audi S3

Anything bad about these choices? I can't make my mind up about any of these lol

What else is out there? Anyone got any crazy ideas/cars for me :D

I always think cars are cheaper than they actually are because I only buy damaged ones and have them rebuilt. £11,000...blimey!

I'm not a badge snob or anything but to be fair I'd also look at banking 4 grand and buy a 4 or 5 year old MG ZT with the V8 engine...awesome motors with a lot of quality parts differing from the usual MG stuff! And plenty of space in them for the trips to IKEA and DIY shops to carry all the new furnishings for your house.

Last edited:
All of the Audis and VWs you've listed are decent reliable cars.

The 1.9TDi is very sluggish and harsh.

The 3.2 V6 sounds lovely and goes adequately well but is thirsty....also watch out for the fan controller on the radiator....it is prone to failure and the symptom is obvious....the engine fans stay on.

2002 S3 is the 1.8 turbo,and is a generally tough engine,and responds well to a bit of tuning,but you won't get much beyond 280bhp without some serious costs.

If you buy one,be very careful it hasn't been poorly modded or badly maintained.

Alfa Romoe GT 3.2 or JTDm modded to 200 BHP with Qauife ltd diff? A mate picked up a 54 plate GT for equivalent of £8k from a an alfa dealer is the £9k + the M3 or including it? BTW the missus will love the GT its one of the few cars i have seen women openly stare at and drool over see thread here http://www.avforums.com/forums/motoring/995267-any-alfa-romeo-gt-owners.html

Moorelands Sports Prestige and 4WD Vehicles
or
Country Car 5Th one down

Not sure if the 3.2 came with selespeed option,

Last edited:
Whnat about a Golf turbo?
:rotfl:
Sidicks

350z, Z4 or S2000 unless you need a FWD hatch.

QUOTE=Decadence;9603833]
I'm not a badge snob or anything but to be fair I'd also look at banking 4 grand and buy a 4 or 5 year old MG ZT with the V8 engine...awesome motors with a lot of quality parts differing from the usual MG stuff! And plenty of space in them for the trips to IKEA and DIY shops to carry all the new furnishings for your house.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the idea, but I'm not too keen on MG's.

Early (S1) Elise?

I think that car would be a bit too small for me.

All of the Audis and VWs you've listed are decent reliable cars.

The 1.9TDi is very sluggish and harsh.

The 3.2 V6 sounds lovely and goes adequately well but is thirsty....also watch out for the fan controller on the radiator....it is prone to failure and the symptom is obvious....the engine fans stay on.

2002 S3 is the 1.8 turbo,and is a generally tough engine,and responds well to a bit of tuning,but you won't get much beyond 280bhp without some serious costs.

If you buy one,be very careful it hasn't been poorly modded or badly maintained.

thanks for the useful info!

Yeah, I gone off the diesel now. lol

I'm really keen on a MK4 R32 or a S3 at the moment.

Alfa Romoe GT 3.2 or JTDm modded to 200 BHP with Qauife ltd diff? A mate picked up a 54 plate GT for equivalent of £8k from a an alfa dealer is the £9k + the M3 or including it? BTW the missus will love the GT its one of the few cars i have seen women openly stare at and drool over see thread here http://www.avforums.com/forums/motoring/995267-any-alfa-romeo-gt-owners.html

Moorelands Sports Prestige and 4WD Vehicles
or
Country Car 5Th one down

Not sure if the 3.2 came with selespeed option,

Yeah, the look cool! It's on the list for sure!

how about the Leon ? Cupra/FR

Not keen on the Leon lookswise!

Whnat about a Golf turbo?
:rotfl:
Sidicks

There's always one haha!

350z, Z4 or S2000 unless you need a FWD hatch.

The image I have of the 350z, Z4 and S2000 is they're a bit cramped (2 seaters?) with small boots. I would definatley prefer 4 seats.

At the moment it's the S3 winning it. 6.5k I can get a nice one and have some change to buy some goodies for the house.

Also, cheaper insurance, better MPG and an easy attenable 40bhp more than the R32.

R32 is close 2nd, decent ones seem to be 9k, not sure if it's worth the extra 2.5k and higher insurance. But the R32 looks a lot nicer and sounds amazing!

Im mulling over the Alfa too. Tough choices lol

Any downside to buy stolen recovered?

I mean obviously its worth less when i sell it, but I paid less in first place?

Lot of Stolen/Recovered S3/R32's lol.

Also new one on the list... Porsche Boxter 3.2S hmmm :D

I have never had problems with stolen recovered cars, going way back to 1988 Astra GTE's, Rover 820 Turbo and other assorted sports cars.

Go drive the alfa it may surprise you my mate that bought the GT was dead set on a Golf/A3 until he drove the alfa! S3 is a different kettle of fish but compared to GTi golf anf 2.0l A3 the alfa has a lot of + sides! There are a couple of 04/05 80k 3.2 on atrader for under 8k or this one for a bit more Alfa Capitale at Autofficina : Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 6 speed

Another vote for the Alfa or the 350z
After having owned the M3, i think you'll quickly get bored of the VW/Audi options..
Another option (although a older model) would be the Nissan Skyline..

The MG is a great car for the money but felt really heavy and slow to me, also didnt feel like it handled especially well.

Can I ask why you are getting rid of the M3?

All the other cars mentioned here arent anywhere near as good but are of a similar nature. Seems a bit odd to change a great car for something that is a similar size and seat number and price etc that just isnt as good.

The MG is a great car for the money but felt really heavy and slow to me, also didnt feel like it handled especially well.

Can I ask why you are getting rid of the M3?

All the other cars mentioned here arent anywhere near as good but are of a similar nature. Seems a bit odd to change a great car for something that is a similar size and seat number and price etc that just isnt as good.

Several reasons why I wanna get rid of it really:

1) Running costs are mental. I see 16MPG on the trip computer. Tyres cost £250+ each. Last service costs £1,400 from BMW. Discs n pads £800, Insurance £1,200 etc etc.

2) Things keep breaking on it. Only done 65k miles and had ball joints, sunframe mounts etc replaced. (Plus A LOT of other things, Sat Nav, Starter motor, sunroof frame etc)

Had it 2 years, lost about 10k in deprication :eek:

Great car but If I wanan move out I don't want the cost of it hovering over my mind.

I been looking at the Older Audi S3's. Half the price in fuel, tyres, insurance, cost of car, servincg. And still 4WD and 270+ bhp (with the help of a remap)

I've just sold my impreza wrx 300 and moved to a lotus Elise S2 111r.
The elise is really amazing. Never felt so connected to the road. I'm commuting 30 miles each day in and it's really quite comfortable. The probax seats support very nicely. I'll just live the the lack of space :)

Edit: Maybe also look at vx220. Cheaper than lotus in many ways but still amazing road holding.

1) Running costs are mental. I see 16MPG on the trip computer. Tyres cost £250+ each. Last service costs £1,400 from BMW. Discs n pads £800, Insurance £1,200 etc etc.

2) Things keep breaking on it. Only done 65k miles and had ball joints, sunframe mounts etc replaced. (Plus A LOT of other things, Sat Nav, Starter motor, sunroof frame etc)

Had it 2 years, lost about 10k in deprication :eek:

Great car but If I wanan move out I don't want the cost of it hovering over my mind.

I been looking at the Older Audi S3's. Half the price in fuel, tyres, insurance, cost of car, servincg. And still 4WD and 270+ bhp (with the help of a remap)

i was pondering over an m3 for the summer wondering how much more it would actually cost to run compared to a 330 but dammmm wasnt expecting that much :eek:

I've just sold my impreza wrx 300 and moved to a lotus Elise S2 111r.
The elise is really amazing. Never felt so connected to the road. I'm commuting 30 miles each day in and it's really quite comfortable. The probax seats support very nicely. I'll just live the the lack of space :)

Edit: Maybe also look at vx220. Cheaper than lotus in many ways but still amazing road holding.

what were the running costs like on the impreza? as in servicing/parts, not too bothered about fuel. no way is my 6'4 frame fitting in an elise :rotfl:

Also new one on the list... Porsche Boxter 3.2S hmmm :D
Have you looked at running costs for a Boxster...?

MPG is better (I get 25MPG regularly), but service costs from an official dealer are no cheaper than your M3 (e.g. disks & pads all round = £1214). Of course, you can go independent and save a lot.

Last edited:
forget the R32s if you want cheap running costs, i get 18mpg (mk v) commuting in mine and its DSG (6th @ 28mph)

the problem is all that instant explosive torque, paddle shift and that damn addictive sound (the active exhaust is awesome) means every traffic light and stop sign leads to perfect 1g starts, its to easy to be 400 yards down the road before the car next to you has even crossed the white line. Sure you can get 25 out of it driven sensibly but then why have it. Point to point its as fast my STi PPP's i have owned and at speed on bumpy roads its probably faster.

oem tyres are £200 a pop and the front discs are the size of serving plates so i dont expect any change for a grand from them either ..

Depreciation is in free fall no one wants high CO2 cars, the next gen R has lost the 3.2

I suspect the S3 is no better all round

GTi is probably better, my money would go on a scirocco thou as they will hold there price better than anything in this sector and the new 260bhp R is only 190 carbons!

dont touch the MG, that V8 is a donkey, its what 61bhp per litre what a joke, honda get 160 bhp from a 1 ltr bike engine, Theres no substitute for cubes, err yeah there is its called technology and a brain

Last edited:
i was pondering over an m3 for the summer wondering how much more it would actually cost to run compared to a 330 but dammmm wasnt expecting that much :eek:

I used to get 7mpg around town with my old M3. Its a great car but the costs of running it are silly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom