What car to go or with a lot bhp and good uel economy

domtheone said:
I have a Clio 182. 5K for the kick here:clap: :clap:

Did Nottingham - Stanstead return journey the other night (240 miles) at an average of 39mpg.

That was mostly 65-70 there:rolleyes: and 80 odd back though so it was firmly on the leash:devil:

I second this. I have a 182 as well, and what with it being quite a light car, it can actually just about manage 40 MPG on a run, with low to mid 30's being possible in town. Worth a consideration if you prefer petrol power (I know I do). Also, its funny seeing peoples faces when they try and burn you off only to see you go sailing by, as they dont realise a Clio can go as quick as it does (i've just put a sport exhaust on mine, 0-100 mph in less than 17 seconds :D).

Quite comfy too I find, although some have issues with the driving position.

I also had a Fabia vRS. I found the economy on this to be somewhat disappointing, as I was led to believe it could manage 60 MPG, however, I struggled even to get even 50 MPG on a run, and around town it was more like 40, which isnt bad, but its not much better than the Clio, which to my mind is a lot more fun to drive.

I have a Golf PD150 - I can vouch for earlier comments of fuel economy.
I drive up and down the M62 between Manc and W Yorks most days and at a steady 70 - 75mph it returns about 58mpg. In a mix of town and motorway driving, I usually get 580 miles out of £45 quids worth of the smelly stuff.
It's fairly quick too, I think official figures quote 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and the in gear acceloration is amazing due to the torque (Porsche Bosxter S Torque = 228lb, Golf PD150 Torque 235lb)

huntere said:
BMW 120D

165bhp and quick. 45 mpg

I bought one of these today, thought it was a cracking car. Second hand, its BMW build quality for VW money. If you can find a decent spec example, it feels very special for a hatchback :)

imyshah said:
Take a look at the Honda Civic Type-R. I myself have one, great to drive around town, good on petrol, looks great and when you have enough road infront of you...it flys! when the vtec kicks in at 6000rpm a huge smile emerges on your face :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have one as well great fun can get 32mpg :eek: if driven gently
or 0-60 in 6.5 sec if driven hard,:smashin: you also get great enjoyment when you out perform cars at 2-3 times the price :clap: :rotfl:

Rab.

RABG said:
I have one as well great fun can get 32mpg :eek: if driven gently
or 0-60 in 6.5 sec if driven hard,:smashin: you also get great enjoyment when you out perform cars at 2-3 times the price :clap: :rotfl:

I can get 32mpg out of my 3.2 litre Mercedes if driven gently but I honestly don't believe that these answers are quite what the OP is looking for

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom