delboyuk2005uk

looking at the golfs gti tdi which are 150bhp also look good on petroel/diesel

anything else can any 1 suggest which is good on bhp and fuel economy

Layne RIP

Novice Member
delboyuk2005uk said:
looking at the golfs gti tdi which are 150bhp also look good on petroel/diesel

anything else can any 1 suggest which is good on bhp and fuel economy

Ummm... well i think if your looking for fuel economy as well as power you've set yourself quite a hard task!!

Basically BHP usually comes in well up the rev range just a bit before the engine is about to scream it's nuts off....(not a place for the fuel concious)
The good thing with diesels (other than the fuel savings) is the amount of torque you get... this comes in a lot lower down and means good acceleration (when the turbo kicks in) and overtaking!!

My mate had a GT TDi Golf and it was quite rapid.... but there are quite a few cars nowadays that have the claims of fuel economy and power, just remember when your enjoying the top level of thier BHP you won't be enjoying the fuel economy.

delboyuk2005uk

well ill rephrase that, i want soemthing which is very good on fuel, but has the speed if i need it.

most of the time ill just be doing 25 miles on the mtorway each way during the week for work.

so want something to save me lot on fuel when just crusing.

imyshah

Standard Member
Take a look at the Honda Civic Type-R. I myself have one, great to drive around town, good on petrol, looks great and when you have enough road infront of you...it flys! when the vtec kicks in at 6000rpm a huge smile emerges on your face :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

smashed

Type-R is in no way economical tho.

Also, bear in mind that the yearly cost takes in depreciation, insurance etc etc... so a lot of factors influence your spend.

stevefish69

I have a Seat Leon PD150 which has the same lump as in the Golf but is cheaper and more fully loaded. It is quick off the mark, could easily sit on the motorway doing a ton and 40-45 MPG.

On my usual M25 commute from Heathrow to Dartford i normally get between 50-60 MPG sitting at around 65-70

Oh and when the usual rep boot hugers start, you just floor it and leave them in a cloud of soot which is quite fun :D

Hairy

Novice Member
Any VW product with the PD 150bhp engine,BMW 320d/330d Ford TDCI's etc.
Basically you need a modern turbo diesel mate and it just comes down to personal choice and budget.

ahin4114

Novice Member
I'm just going through a similar choice. I'm after a new A6, I've got to make the choice between the 2.0TDi and the 2.7TDi. I'm erring on the side of the 2.7 right now, because although I will get a few more MPG out of the 2.0, if I drive it to try and get it to perform like the 2.7 I'll be getting better MPG out of the 2.7.
I can vouch for the 150bhp TD engine, my A3 currently uses one, and the performance is excellent. Don't expect to outdrag a Civic Type R off the lights, but for overtakes and motorway driving it's hard to beat.

delboyuk2005uk

yeah am leaning towards the vw golf as it just looks very economical i do about 90mph on the motorway so that should be great.

and also got a bit of speed if i want to play with it

Beobloke

Mondeo STTDCi???

i have a type r and im sick to death of going to the garage :mad: so im also thinking along the lines of a a3 or golf :thumbsup:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
imyshah said:
Take a look at the Honda Civic Type-R. I myself have one, great to drive around town, good on petrol, looks great and when you have enough road infront of you...it flys! when the vtec kicks in at 6000rpm a huge smile emerges on your face :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I have a Clio 182. 5K for the kick here:clap: :clap:

Did Nottingham - Stanstead return journey the other night (240 miles) at an average of 39mpg.

That was mostly 65-70 there:rolleyes: and 80 odd back though so it was firmly on the leash:devil:

huntere

BMW 120D

165bhp and quick. 45 mpg

Depending on budget the new 330D is an absolute rocket.

I think VW have a 170 TDi coming but can't recall when

The 2.7 Audi A6 is a cracker too.

markymark34

always found the 150bhp BMw Diesel a little sluggish compared with the 150bhp Vws. Have heard the new 165bhp Bms are fantastic though!

Good thing about gt tdis is they are 6 gears makes motorway journeys really good for mpg.

Ultraviolet

Standard Member
I would highly recommend a 535d (or 335d if it appears) as the ultimate compromise between power and economy. If you have it chipped, you will be able to shift continents with the amount of torque (more than an m5) it produces. Mine flies, but I am still thinking about adding the DMS rechip magic....

UV

delboyuk2005uk

ultraviolet can you post someinfo on one of these cars

like bhp
miles to the gallon

can you send me a pic of one of these not that clued up on bmw's if thats what yer talking about lol

scarty16

Alpina D3 - 200bhp, and 45-55mpg and exclusive:devil: only 300 in the country, based on BMW 320d but upgraded suspension and engine, bodykit etc etc

markymark34

delboyuk2005uk said:
ultraviolet can you post someinfo on one of these cars

like bhp
miles to the gallon

can you send me a pic of one of these not that clued up on bmw's if thats what yer talking about lol

goto parkers.co.uk
or do a search on google.

sidicks

Banned
there are some good suggestions already posted on here, but to narrow it down we need to know:
1) Budget
2) New / Used
3) Space Requirements - practicality (2 seats / 4 seats) boot space req'd etc
4) presumably this is to be the only car for you ?

Sidicks

sdb123

Distinguished Member
I had the Mondeo ST TDCI on demo for just over a week (for Company Car purposes) and can vouch for it :thumbsup:

Pulls in a respectable 46-47 MPG but has the performance when you need it too....you have to go to something like a 535 for much improved performance IMO.

Great value. :)

delboyuk2005uk

am looking for anything under 10 grand

me my gf and baby will be using the car to travel in so 5 seater, with 3 or 5 doors not bothered about that

it will not be brand new so used options say anywhere upto 3 years

sidicks

Banned
Used turbo diesel from Seat or VW (same engine) has to be the way forward !!

Sidicks

WhyAyeMan

domtheone said:
I have a Clio 182. 5K for the kick here:clap: :clap:

Did Nottingham - Stanstead return journey the other night (240 miles) at an average of 39mpg.

That was mostly 65-70 there:rolleyes: and 80 odd back though so it was firmly on the leash:devil:
I second this. I have a 182 as well, and what with it being quite a light car, it can actually just about manage 40 MPG on a run, with low to mid 30's being possible in town. Worth a consideration if you prefer petrol power (I know I do). Also, its funny seeing peoples faces when they try and burn you off only to see you go sailing by, as they dont realise a Clio can go as quick as it does (i've just put a sport exhaust on mine, 0-100 mph in less than 17 seconds :D).

Quite comfy too I find, although some have issues with the driving position.

I also had a Fabia vRS. I found the economy on this to be somewhat disappointing, as I was led to believe it could manage 60 MPG, however, I struggled even to get even 50 MPG on a run, and around town it was more like 40, which isnt bad, but its not much better than the Clio, which to my mind is a lot more fun to drive.

wells

Standard Member
I have a Golf PD150 - I can vouch for earlier comments of fuel economy.
I drive up and down the M62 between Manc and W Yorks most days and at a steady 70 - 75mph it returns about 58mpg. In a mix of town and motorway driving, I usually get 580 miles out of £45 quids worth of the smelly stuff.
It's fairly quick too, I think official figures quote 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and the in gear acceloration is amazing due to the torque (Porsche Bosxter S Torque = 228lb, Golf PD150 Torque 235lb)

UrbanT

Distinguished Member
huntere said:
BMW 120D

165bhp and quick. 45 mpg
I bought one of these today, thought it was a cracking car. Second hand, its BMW build quality for VW money. If you can find a decent spec example, it feels very special for a hatchback :)

RABG

Novice Member
imyshah said:

I have one as well great fun can get 32mpg :eek: if driven gently
or 0-60 in 6.5 sec if driven hard,:smashin: you also get great enjoyment when you out perform cars at 2-3 times the price :clap: :rotfl:

Rab.