What car to go for next??

GJD

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to mull over car choices for a replacement for the family motor (currently a 2004 Merc E320cdi Avantgarde Estate).. For me, the choosing is the best bit.. poring over brochures, test drives etc so it'll probably take me about 6 months to make a decision.

The Merc has been great in most respects, if a little dull and "old mans car" for me (I'm only 35). My current shortlist for a replacement is as follows..

Audi S6 Avant (2nd hand. Can't run to the just announced RS6)
Audi Allroad
Audi Q7 (2nd hand)
BMW M5 Saloon (2nd hand, the Touring is ideal but too new and pricy)
BMW 535d Touring
BMW X5 (2nd hand)
VW Touareg
Porsche Cayenne (2nd hand)
Range Rover Sport (2nd hand)
Range Rover (1 year old model as seem to suffer big depreciation)

The 4x4 bit is useful as we are fairly rural but not essential.. Need a fair bit of space as we have two young kids. I've put a few sporty options in there for the lad in me but if I'm honest it's not a must (we also have a Cooper S Works Mini).. My budget is £35K - £40K tops so for some of the above I'm obviously looking at 1 - 2 year old cars.

What would you guys go for? Any other suggestions?

Unless you really want the premium off roader look the BMW 535d Touring wins it hands down for me. A chipped one will keep up with the M5 and the S6 at legal speeds yet still do about 40 MPG and be a newer car than both.

From the list, I would probably go for BMW 535d touring based on performance, looks and resale values. I am also a sucker for the Range Rovers ;)

Alternative - Volvo XC90 D5 Sport - Decent drive, 7 seats, very good resale value, excellent mpg. Cons - servicing costs

Here is a comparison by German channel DW (though it's in English) of the Range Rover Sport, VW Toureag, Volvo XC90 V8 and the Mercedes ML500.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HOyaikTtvY4

The new M5 is by far the best drivers car in your list! It really is a stunningly fast car, that handles brilliantly... There also very sought after and hold there value well.

Ive been in range rover sports, x5s and M5 and if I had that money there would be no contest, M5 all the way.

My advice is to think honestly what you need the car to do, if you dont require four wheel drive or offroad ability I would brush aside the offroaders, as I assume by semi rural you dont mean you live on a farm or need to drive around fields or up unroaded hills or allong beaches..

Another car to consider is the RS4 Avant, it will give you good space, 4 wheel drive and again, though I havnt been in or driven one is regarded as a REAL drivers car.

Probably best to see if you can get the cars your interested in to test drive for a day, as once your in them and forget the image on the outside, you can find out what car you really enjoy to drive and if you sample an RS4/M5 etc.. I would imagine the 4x4 will pale in comparison.

Nudge Nudge, If I was you Id go and test drive and RS4 and a M5!

subaru Forrester Sti

Better off road than most of teh above and better performance on-road than all of the above. And better built than all of the above and save a huge amount on the cost.

subaru Forrester Sti

Better off road than most of teh above and better performance on-road than all of the above. And better built than all of the above and save a huge amount on the cost.

Nice car, but an M5 or RS4 would smoke it :)

Evo 9 FQ360 .

Best Awd drive sytem in the world and nothing else can offer real world performance at the level this car can.

If you can live with the spoilers and big exhaust this really is a car you need to own once in a lifetime, they are simply awesome.

Since owning one I have had numerous high performance german offerings and none have come close.

Nice car, but an M5 or RS4 would smoke it :)

Fq360 detroys either of the above on either track or road. Look at Evo mags lap times at Bedford Autodrome, the Evo stomps on these two barges from an enormous height

The depreciation on the X5 can be pretty frightening on the petrol models,so may be worth taking into account.

The same seems to apply to the Cayenne,and a few of my colleagues who've driven the Touareg rate it as much better value than the Cayenne as well as pretty good fun if you go for the V10 diesel.

The Q7 is truly huge,and you don't really appreciate how huge until you stand alongside one or drive the thing....it's been underpowered until the arrival of the 4.2 diesel,which should now make it move,and relatively economically as well.

Basically,I think the experience of all of my friends who have big 4x4's currently is that the value goes down....rapidly.

535D touring....another mate has one,and apart from minor niggles such as the sunroof jamming and various issues with the local dealer,he's very pleased with it.

Fq360 detroys either of the above on either track or road. Look at Evo mags lap times at Bedford Autodrome, the Evo stomps on these two barges from an enormous height

Very much depends on what you want....the M5 and RS4 are rather more expensive and would be considered part of the luxury sports market as opposed to the out and out racer appeal of the Evo.

All very capable cars,but aimed at very different markets.

In any case,the OP is looking at estates and large 4x4s as far as I can see from the shortlist,with the exception of the M5

Test drove a 2000 S6 Avant today. . .silver with not enough trimmings so probably wont be buying. . .powerful enough mind you, and plenty of space for "wife" and menagerie. . .! Getting older and lazier so auto tips are looking appealing to me. If I had the money would be a used 535d DMS'd (or similar).

Very much depends on what you want....the M5 and RS4 are rather more expensive and would be considered part of the luxury sports market as opposed to the out and out racer appeal of the Evo.

All very capable cars,but aimed at very different markets.

In any case,the OP is looking at estates and large 4x4s as far as I can see from the shortlist,with the exception of the M5

Very true the E46 M3 I once owned was not really what I would call a sporty car ,It was an executive express and the single most unreliable and poorly made car I have ever had the misfortune to own. The wideboy/Sales rep BMW image is also a massive downside as is the depreciation and the dealer network. Buy an M car if you want to enter into a joint ownership arrangement with your unfriendly local BMW dealer .

Why not import the Japan only Evo estate if your after a fun estate car at least its something a bit different . If people could only see past the spoilers exhausts and Mitsubishi badge ,In the real world on our potholed greasy roads nothing comes close .

Very true the E46 M3 I once owned was not really what I would call a sporty car ,It was an executive express and the single most unreliable and poorly made car I have ever had the misfortune to own. The wideboy/Sales rep BMW image is also a massive downside as is the depreciation and the dealer network. Buy an M car if you want to enter into a joint ownership arrangement with your unfriendly local BMW dealer .

Why not import the Japan only Evo estate if your after a fun estate car at least its something a bit different . If people could only see past the spoilers exhausts and Mitsubishi badge ,In the real world on our potholed greasy roads nothing comes close .

E46 M3 not a sport cars, this is nonsense, its a sports car cloaked in a saloon body, never in my life have I heard anyone suggest it isnt a sports car, its regarded by most as one of the best everyday sports cars money can buy. It handles superbly and the N/A engine is a brilliant when its working, its certainly no cruiser :) !.
The poster you quoted I assume was explaining that is luxury "sports" rather than a more hardcore EVO..

Regarding reliability I have to agree, 2 engines and 1 top end rebuild under warranty in the first 3 years for my old mans :( and our local dealer staff seems to be firmly positioned up there own arses, as if there very special people for taking your cash.

As for the EVO Ive never had the pleasure of driving one, but by all accounts its brilliant car, but I imagine the original poster is looking for a higher prestige brand, given the cars he has listed as possibilites.

So really I think reccomeneding an EVO is way of the mark...

Lets finish the Evo Vs German saloon argument here.....all that the OP is asking for is advice on a series of large 4x4s and estates and one saloon.

The distinction I made between the luxury sports market and the near track appeal of the Evo was very clear.
I've lived with and driven everyday,a car far rawer than a stock FQ360,and whilst I appreciate the Evo is a superb car with 4 decent seats(which mine definitely didnt have),as a luxury car,it does fall short.

Co55ie's advice re the Evo is I am sure welcome,but the point has now been made rather fully,and doesnt need any further reinforcement as to how capable the car is.

Let the GJD decide for himself.

The wideboy/Sales rep BMW image is also a massive downside

My wife and I drive BMWs as do the neighbours on both sides of our house. Would you care to spell out exactly what it is you are calling us as it looks to me as if you are insulting me with ridiculous generalisations.

GJD - another idea for your melting pot if you're looking for a performance car with plenty of carrying capacity is the Alpina versions of the BMW Touring cars. Pretty exclusive which means there aren't many on the second hand market.

My wife and I drive BMWs as do the neighbours on both sides of our house. Would you care to spell out exactly what it is you are calling us as it looks to me as if you are insulting me with ridiculous generalisations.

I used to drive a BMW M3 and this car has a pretty low image (go look at any car forum).Sorry if that upsets you but as an ex owner thats my views on the car .

I am sure you your wife and neighbours are all very happy with yours and the prestige image and everything else that goes with such an exclusive Marque.

OK....back to the original topic.

It was an M5 that was mentioned in any case,as opposed to the perceived image of a different car....lets leave it to GJD.

I have a 535 Saloon. Great car and very happy with it. Would love a M5 though ! Handling wise the 5 series are much better than a X5.

Mileage wise I don't think you can get 40 mpg out of a 535 unless you do alot of motorways. I think I only get around 25-30 out of mine, but I drive around in London so alot of start stopping.

Haven't got an experience with the other cars.

The latest Audi S6 has a version of the Gallardo's V10 which is a cracking engine and is a superbly built car, albeit not quite such an out and out sports car as the M5. It has quattro 4wd too.

I get the impression that you don't really want a 4x4, so of the other choices I think the 535d is probably the best value for money.

Personally I'd choose the Audi's vastly superior interior over the BMW's superior handling!

As has been mentioned previously the EVO does what it does well, but it is nowhere the same class of car that you are looking for.

Let us know what your final decision is!

Sidicks

Many thanks for all your replies guys. I've been away for a few days so I've just been playing catchup on the thread. Some great posts on here and lots of food for thought.

Ref the recommendations for Evo's / Forrester Wagons I do probably need something a little larger. Never had an Evo before (but have had an Impreza Turbo which I loved).. Pains me to say it but I guess on some level I am looking at more of a prestige brand I suppose. I am probably most tempted by the current shape S6 Avant at the moment or perhaps a nicely specced Audi Allroad. If it were purely up to me I'd probably go for a used M5 but my better half has got used to the extra practicality an estate car gives. A 535d Touring sounds appealing too and I'll certainly give one of these a go.

Will keep you posted as I start to test drive etc!

If it were purely up to me I'd probably go for a used M5 but my better half has got used to the extra practicality an estate car gives. A 535d Touring sounds appealing too and I'll certainly give one of these a go.

Will keep you posted as I start to test drive etc!

they do a gorgeous M5 touring too ;)

not a fan of the allroad. Just looks like a boat on monster truck wheels. (clearly subjective :p)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom