What Car Suggestions Please

johnny70

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

Going to be buying a new 2nd hand car in the near future, but i don't know what i would like, the only things that are important are;

1, under £6000
2, under 35000 miles
3, not a sports car
4, prefer a family 5 door type
5, not huge costs to run
6, not a huge insurance group.

Any personal reccomendations please :thumbsup:

Cheers
JOHNNY

Mondeo or Vectra would fit the bill: they're cheap to run, readily available and pretty decent. Not exciting, but decent.

You should find one at the mileage you require without much difficulty. A quick search on Autotrader found a 1.8 Vectra, 2003 model year, with 31,000 miles advertised for £5,995.

I would probably go for a Mondeo, as they're more reliable and better to drive. But they're also a touch more expensive.

Try a Skoda Superb if you are not a badge snob.

Plenty of 2003 examples around at under £6K. They are the size of a Passat at a much lower price. Take the badge off the front and they could be an Audi A6 (seriously).

EDIT: saw this on Autotrader: 2002SKODA Superb 2.5 V6 TDi
Diesel, on 02 plate, 6 speed, CD, air con, alloy wheels, reverse parking aid. £5,500. or.

Cant go too far wrong with the vectra or mondeo, does it have to be that size?
You could get a 5 door focus with less than 20k on the clock for that sort of money, cheap to insure too (try ford online for the insurance, worked out mega cheap for me living in NI)

I have a V-reg Vectra which I picked up for under £2k but they generally sell for around £3k. Decent sized engine, comfortable, practical and reasonably economical. You probably won't find one that old with under 35k on the clock but they're definitely solid cars. :)

New shape mondeo with all toys attached will be easily in budget - plus point is that loads of quality non-main dealer garages will service for peanuts(relatively) and parts are cheap.

Iain

well, i've been looking, found a fab citreon C5 2.0 HDi, all bells and whistles, 46,000miles, only £4899. on a y 2001 plate. Driven it yesterday on a test, it was very nice, should be economical too, suppose to get around 60miles to a gallon and cheaper road tax because of the emmisions. and it's a great sky blue colour, only down side its has a small crack in the drivers side rear bumper about 1 1/2 inches barley noticable.

or i've seen a citreon C3 1.4 HDi, 22,000 on the clock, 53 plate, also mint as its from a main dealer, not so many bells and whistles.

What do you think?

kind regards

JOHNNY

I think you should avoid all Citroens like the plague. Particularly complicated, big ones. The bells and whistles will have you sobbing like a baby when they all fail at once.

I would also say that 5 grand is far too much money for a 4-year old C5 with nearly 50k miles, and some accident damage. The C5 is motoring halitosis. It doesn't even look good, which is normally the only saving grace for Citroens.

Please, for your own sake, don't buy a French car!!

johnny70 said:
well, i've been looking, found a fab citreon C5 2.0 HDi, all bells and whistles, 46,000miles, only £4899. on a y 2001 plate. Driven it yesterday on a test, it was very nice, should be economical too, suppose to get around 60miles to a gallon and cheaper road tax because of the emmisions. and it's a great sky blue colour, only down side its has a small crack in the drivers side rear bumper about 1 1/2 inches barley noticable.

or i've seen a citreon C3 1.4 HDi, 22,000 on the clock, 53 plate, also mint as its from a main dealer, not so many bells and whistles.

What do you think?

kind regards

JOHNNY

Have to agree with Rhoamish on this one. 60mpg? - more like 44mpg, which is still pretty reasonable for the class. Looking on Autotrader prices seem to vary enormously for this car - but I think £4800 is top whack for the car. Mechanically they are ok, but Citroen electricals are notoriously iffy. That plus the complicated hydropneumatic suspension can be expensive to fix. have a look at the JD Power surveys an see how Citroen compare to the likes of Skoda or Japanese cars.

Ok

Thanks for putting me off and bringing me back to reality, I didn't really want to buy a French car did I?

Well as look would have it found a private seller with a cool Seat Leon 04 plate with 20,000 miles (all motorway) 1.4s, 18 months dealer warranty all for just £5500.

Should be picking up on Sunday

Cheers
JOHNNY

i picked up a mondeo deisel for just over six and i am quite impressed, mileage im getting on the motorway is around 55mpg. its a comfortable, smooth ride with plenty of grunt. ford parts are relatively cheap!.....happy shopping whatever you choose.

johnny70 said:
Ok

Thanks for putting me off and bringing me back to reality, I didn't really want to buy a French car did I?

Well as look would have it found a private seller with a cool Seat Leon 04 plate with 20,000 miles (all motorway) 1.4s, 18 months dealer warranty all for just £5500.

Cheers
JOHNNY

LOL I was about to suggest a Seat Leon!

They are nice cars!

johnny70 said:
Ok

Cheers
JOHNNY

Think of it as an Audi A3 in a nicer suit :smashin:
l

oh yes indeed

went on a long test drive yesterday morning, fantastic, knocks the socks off everything else i test driven, should be picking it up later today.

Thanks or the advice guys

Regard
JOHNNY

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom