What car for long term ownership

johnr2110

If you had a maximum of £12000 to spend on a second hand car which you intended to keep 15 years what would you buy?

deantown

Distinguished Member
If you had a maximum of £12000 to spend on a second hand car which you intended to keep 15 years what would you buy?

We have had a BMW and Golf (brand new) for the past dozen years or so and both have been excellent. If you do a lot of motorway driving the BMW is fantastic.

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
If I was keeping something that long I would go for a Mercedes or BMW with as big an engine as you can afford. It's probably wrong but I feel big lazy engines get less stressed and last longer.

lovegroova

If a big engine goes wrong (and it's probably a case of when with the German stuff) then it generally costs a lot more to fix.

What sort of car are you looking at (some sort of convertible/high days and holidays type thing?)

loz

Distinguished Member
Something like a Honda or Toyota.
Ultra reliable and not too expensive to repair if it does go wrong.

They are bland but functional. But if you are thinking about keeping it for 15 years, then I guess being fashionable and funky isn't top of your requirements anyway.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
15 years is a long time! What sort of mileage do you do?

marksovereign

If I was keeping something that long I would go for a Mercedes or BMW with as big an engine as you can afford. It's probably wrong but I feel big lazy engines get less stressed and last longer.

Totally agree with this - You are more likely to have to repair suspension and bushes than the engine, particularly if you stick to the servicing guidelines.

Docwychwood

Standard Member
My dad had a toyota avensis for 13 years great car as previously mentioned bland and functional. Mum bought it new for him as a 50th birthday present from a broker (but that's another thread). That car is still running today 6 years on. He only sold it to a friend as we gave him our 3er. The bimmer gave him no end of problems. Mum is still running her 2002 Honda civic again no problems.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
So that Avensis is running fine at 19 years old?

johnr2110

15 years is a long time! What sort of mileage do you do?

Around 6000 miles.

What sort of car are you looking at (some sort of convertible/high days and holidays type thing?)[/QUOTE]

All purpose, possibly a 4x4 not yet decided.

Drd

In which case surely you should forget new and buy something like this which will probably be good for another 30+ years

I realise it's over £12k, just an example!

johnr2110

In which case surely you should forget new and buy something like this which will probably be good for another 30+ years

I realise it's over £12k, just an example!

Not what I meant by all purpose :) The 4x4 is purely for the raised driving position and road presence.

Great car though.:smashin:

deantown

Distinguished Member
For £12,000 you could buy a brand new Dacia Duster and have a 7 year warranty. Have heard nothing but good reports on this car. I think it is Carbuyer magazine car of the year.

p1tse

Any criteria's, must haves?

p1tse

Petrol hatch I would say edition 30 dsg golf

Diesel bmw 335d only comes in auto

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Petrol hatch I would say edition 30 dsg golf

Diesel bmw 335d only comes in auto

Does anyone yet know the long term cost of DSG?
It's only been around since 2005, when I had it in my A3.
At some point, those twin clutches will need replacement, won't they?

I'd go with Toyota Avensis too, for long term ownership.
With the 180bhp diesel engine for enough oomph for most.
I'm assuming it comes with an auto option, haven't checked.

Last edited:

p1tse

I think as long as you service dsg then should be fine as there are many high milers out there running strong

p1tse

johnr2110

I'd go with Toyota Avensis too, for long term ownership.
With the 180bhp diesel engine for enough oomph for most.
I'm assuming it comes with an auto option, haven't checked.[/QUOTE]

Had a look on the Autotrader site, showing only 150bhp models within our price range.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Had a look on the Autotrader site, showing only 150bhp models within our price range.

:confused:

I just did a quick search as follows

Toyota
Avensis
Diesel
Max £12000
keyword 'T180'

I found quite a few from £5000 upwards.
Edit, forgot you want auto.:facepalm:
You could just get a 150 and chip it.
Might even be a dealer upgrade.

Last edited:

p1tse

You've reinforced my point, that no-one really seems to know how long DSG boxes will last, what parts will fail first, or what will be the cost of fixing them.

Quick look on autotrader there are some dsg up for sale cars done 170k miles

So I think this gives a fair indicator it can do big miles

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio