1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What capture card?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by JimmytheSaint, Oct 17, 2004.

1. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Basically, I'm looking to convert my video collection onto dvd (dvd burner) and also my Sky+ recordings. Is there a capture card like the Haupage WinTV350, that has RGB in, so I can take full advantage of the quality of recordings on Sky+?
    Is it cheaper (and better) just to buy a standalone dvd recorder?

Cheers

2. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just make sure whatever you get has hardware encoding. That rules out any ATI product. I definitely recommend the WinTV 350 from Hauppauge. It is a very neat card and works very well.

I don't own a standalone DVD recorder, but it could possibly be cheaper. Can't help you there.

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I had the Hauppauge WinTV 250 which is very similar to the 350 except for having a software decoder instead of hardware. It has the same hardware encoder and I wasn't very happy at all with it's capture quality. I had it connected to my Radeon 9800 Pro from my Sky Plus box via svideo and the on screen picture was very good. However, playing back captured video showed quite a significant loss in picture quality. I ended up selling the card.
    The best spec alternative I have seen is the Pinnacle Studio Moviebox DV -v9 available for £154.99 from dabs.
    I also have an interest in purchasing a dvd recorder, but one of the things I want to do is to record a couple of programmes from my Sky Plus hdd on to dvd, but I have been lead to beleive that sky has incorpaorated some kind of Macrovision within Sky Plus recordings. Can anyone confirm this?

4. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
  5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Wow, looks like a really good card.
    Might be tempted to try one my self.

6. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want RGB inputs for your PC, the only thing I know about is the SweetSpot. I use it for feeding the outputs from consoles into my PC - very nice RGB input (component also). I do not know about its recording capabilities, however, because I have never tried to record anything. (but I do know that it would most likely be done in software - the deinterlacing is, anyway)

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    You don't need hardware encoding if you have a half decent machine.
    The sweetspot is a very clean card probably the best analogue capture card out there at affordable prices. It also has multiple svideo and composite inputs in addition to the rgb/component input.

You don't need the xcard either unless you want to use Dscaler for direct digital dvd duties.

There are various apps that will allow you to capture through the sweetspot although I don't have any experience of these myself. Dscaler allows capture but I don't think its the best quality available. (the sweetspot works with most popular capture software I believe)

Remember you'll have to capture the sound as well through your soundcard.

The nebula digiTV is a freeview digital tuner card that records direct to harddrive and produces recordings indistinguishable from the original broadcast and also allows easy reformating to dvd burn friendly mpeg2 formats. This is probably a better solution for PVR duties than the analogue route but obviously its only freeview thats on offer.

I use both a sweetspot for external analogue sources (consoles SVHS) and a digiTV for recording duties. I use a freeview box through the sweetspot for dual tuner duties when the digiTV is tied up recording something.