1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can you do with the best DVD recorder & HD combos?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Triggaaar, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I have sky+, but there's never enough space, even if you change the HD. So I'd like to be able to archive to DVD. I'm about to get a new PC, and am not sure if I need to make it capable of DVD archiving, or if I'd be better with a seperate box. So...

If you have a series recorded on sky+, and record it onto the HD of an all in one, can you then:
    1) edit out adverts & gaps at the start/end of each recording?
    2) create chapters on the dvd, so you can forward to the next episode with one click?
    3) name each episode/chapter as you see fit?

4) Can this be done with re-writable disks, and if so, will they play on most std dvd players (specifically the Arcam DV89)?

Depending on the quality of sky broadcast, hour of program takes up a different amount of time on the HD.
    5) Roughly how many hours of The Simpsons (for example) would fit on a DVD?

Finally (and I'm assuming the answer is no)
    6) Can you record DD 5.1? (as broadcast by sky movies)

Many thanks!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Yes - process differs between machines but it is generally easy and straight-forward. Panasonic's do the best edits IMHO although it's a close run thing.

Yes again - there are caveats but without explaining how various machines work that is just too long to go into.

Yes to the episodes. Not really for chapter names although it depends on the machines and how you have editted (playlist/partial erase etc).

No - to achieve what you want to do you need a HDD/DVDR combo. You then get incompatible VR features on the HDD but can dub to universally compatible DVD-R.

That is entirely subjective. There are some people on this forum that seem to think 6hrs on a DVDR is 'good' quality. Personnally I never exceed 2hrs per DVD-R.

No.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Thank you!

It's only the HDD/DVDR combo I'd look at, so that should be fine.

I realise that if you started with decent quality (eg, another DVD), that for the best quality you could only get a couple of hours - but I assumed that if you'd recorded something off of a std sky channel, the quality would already be reduced, so if you then copied that to your HDD/DVDR combo at maximum quality, it would already use less volume (ie, > 2hrs per disk). Have I assumed wrong?
    [/QUOTE]

I thought 5.1 would be too much to ask for. Can you copy a 5.1 recording from sky+ onto DVDs with an HTPC?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    In theory that's correct - but even when recording from a low bitrate but clean RGB source such as Sky you still benefit from using a higher bitrate on your DVD recorder.
    TBH the only way you'll know what you are happy with is when you play around with the settings after purchase.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only model to avoid is Sony as their machines lack a DIVIDE function on the HDD,so bulk copying from Sky+ is no use with a Sony as you cannot then split the block into individual programmes.
    Toshiba are unique(currently) in offering a chapter thumbnail menu,other makes only offer title pix

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Gotcha. I've seen comments on the DIVIDE function, which would be essential for me. I'm not sure what you mean by title pix? I imagine I'd only put one program on each disk (although different episodes) and being able to skip from one to the next would be sufficient. Wouldn't need all the info you get with sky+, but it would be a bonus (ie, program information/description for each episode)

7. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You are given a thuimbnail for each chapter (which you can change) as well as editable titals.