what can you do with an old sky box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jmjm, May 29, 2003.

1. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got an old Grundig Sky Box that I have been using for 6 years. I am about to get a new one. I was going to use the old one to watch Freeview through the aerial on the TV upstairs but I have been told that I can only watch Freeview via a Sky Satellite dish with it as "it is optimised for satellite". Is this really true?

Thanks

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are confusing DTT Freeview and Free To View satellite!

Your Grundig is a Satellite Receiver, it won't work if you plug in an aerial!

DaveP

3. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it's a sky digital box, you can use it for freeview, you need a dual LNB (goes on the dish and allows 2 runs of cable) and another run of cable to the new location.

THen just get a freeview card and job done.

4. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

I've already got the card but I didn't want 2 dishes. Where do I get the dual LNB from? Can I get the Sky engineer to do it?

Thanks

5. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's unlikely that Sky will send an installer round for a freeview box - you can ring them and check if they will do it and how much it will cost.

You can pick a dual or Quad LNB up on Ebay for less than £40 - Sky installers use either the Phillips or the Cambridge Quad LNBs for Sky+ installations. If you can see your TV from your dish, you could have a go at fitting it yourself using the signal test. Be warned you have to be very accurate (I think within 5mm), although I'm no expert, and fitted a Quad LNB myself last weekend. Even managed to get a better signal than the one I had before. I may have been lucky, and you could end up messing up your original signal. If you have access to a Satellite meter, it makes the job a whole lot easier.

My advice would be to look in the yellow pages for a local satellite installer, and get one of those round to fit a new LNB. You may aswell go for a Quad feed, as if you want to upgrade to Sky+ in the future, you won't have to change the LNB again.

Cheers

Simon