Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

what can you do with an old sky box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jmjm, May 29, 2003.

1. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got an old Grundig Sky Box that I have been using for 6 years. I am about to get a new one. I was going to use the old one to watch Freeview through the aerial on the TV upstairs but I have been told that I can only watch Freeview via a Sky Satellite dish with it as "it is optimised for satellite". Is this really true?

Thanks

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are confusing DTT Freeview and Free To View satellite!

Your Grundig is a Satellite Receiver, it won't work if you plug in an aerial!

DaveP

3. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it's a sky digital box, you can use it for freeview, you need a dual LNB (goes on the dish and allows 2 runs of cable) and another run of cable to the new location.

THen just get a freeview card and job done.

4. jmjm

jmjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

I've already got the card but I didn't want 2 dishes. Where do I get the dual LNB from? Can I get the Sky engineer to do it?

Thanks

5. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's unlikely that Sky will send an installer round for a freeview box - you can ring them and check if they will do it and how much it will cost.

You can pick a dual or Quad LNB up on Ebay for less than £40 - Sky installers use either the Phillips or the Cambridge Quad LNBs for Sky+ installations. If you can see your TV from your dish, you could have a go at fitting it yourself using the signal test. Be warned you have to be very accurate (I think within 5mm), although I'm no expert, and fitted a Quad LNB myself last weekend. Even managed to get a better signal than the one I had before. I may have been lucky, and you could end up messing up your original signal. If you have access to a Satellite meter, it makes the job a whole lot easier.

My advice would be to look in the yellow pages for a local satellite installer, and get one of those round to fit a new LNB. You may aswell go for a Quad feed, as if you want to upgrade to Sky+ in the future, you won't have to change the LNB again.

Cheers

Simon