1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can Xbox do?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by dave_bass5, Sep 27, 2005.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    Ok. really new to this. in fact only thought about getting one less than an hour ago.
    I keep reading about modding and ill be ok with doing that but why mod? what are the benifits?
    Will i be able to play backups on Xbox and use it as a divx dvd player/recorder?

Thanks for any help

Dave.

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Dave, have a browse on this forum your find loads. i cant post everything i'll be here all day.

sorry

Gary

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    Thanks Gary.
    im slowly getting through the posts but keep coming up againt phrases and devices and software that i then have to go find out what they are.
    all looks very intresting.
    Could you confirm that it would work as a video recorder and what i would need to get it going.
    Also is it ok to go buy a Xbox from dixons or do i need to look for a specific model?
    thanks for you advice

Dave.

4. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i'm not sure XBMC that can record. But i'm sure that someone could correct me on that. i use mine as a sound and video server. MPg, AVI, files are downloaded from the web - FTP'ed to the xbox and watched from there. then theres the 15Gb's of MP3's and the games. you could always stream from the PC directly to it.

Gary

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    Thanks Gary.
    Ill keep on searching.
    My son only needs it for games and i just like to muck around with things and as my PC is in the living room hooked up to the AV centre streaming isnt really what id use it for.
    If it cant record then ill just get a dvd recorder as well.
    I have seen a PC runnig XPMC that worked the same way as Sky+ so was hoping the XBox would.

Dave.

Dave.

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I'm in the process of modding my xbox (should have just paid someone to do it!) and hopefully will use it to play video files (divx) as well as stream music from the PC.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    I can get a secondhand Xbox for £60 from CE in the west end and get it "upgraded" for another £60.
    Is this a bit expensive?
    I know you can get the Xecuter 2.6 for £22 but not sure if i would be able to install it myself. also as im very new to XB they would also configure any new software for me. would just save a bit of time i guess.
    thanks for the replies

Dave.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I'm not sure whether the Xecuter 2.6 is a solderless install, but if not then you may want to pay someone on doing it (unless you're a handy solderer). I recently installed a Xenium Spice which was quite easy (as it was solderless).

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    My xbox is in my bedroom and wired to my home ethernet network. I use Microsoft Windows Media Center extender kit to access MCE from my lounge PC and can watch and record live tv that way - the recordings are stored on my HTPC in the lounge, but I can watch and schedule them via the xbox.

I can also switch to xbmc to watch media files that are stored on any other device on my home network, such as mp3's pictures, ripped dvd's (vobs), divx/xvid. Also I can watch dvd's and play xbox games on it..... what a clever toy :smashin:

lisa

10. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It all depends what the upgrade is. I could, for instance, softmod a box in around 15 mins using the stock drive. This would entail minimum time and effort. I could then build a bigger hdd, in around another 30 mins. This would entail opening the box, removing 12 screws and 2 cables, connecting the new drive and replacing the 12 screws and would require a certain amount of effort. Installing a modchip would incur extra expense for the chip and depending if any soldering etc was involved, this would put more of a burden on time and effort, especially if a replacement drive was still required.

To be honest, softmodding would be the better option if your son does not intend using the Xbox Live service (and with some mods that can be turned off, this is still an option) and you could do yourself very easily just by following well laid out instructions and with the right equipment. In fact, there is a softmod kit doing the rounds on these very forums and I have one myself which I would be more than happy to loan out, with several different types of install method.

11. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hey Dave

what can it do when Modded? What cant it do would be a quicker!

As far as im aware the ONLY things it can't do on the media front is stream from MCE live tv or record, however, in recent builds of Xbox Media Center (XBMC)i have noticed a new option called "Replay Live TV". Not sure what this does as I don't have Media Center Edition (MCE).

Most people use a modded XBMC system as a media terminal but, it also has other advantages. By media terminal i mean the following:

You can have a store of movies, music, pictures/photo's etc located somewhere in your house (usualy a server or pc but occasionaly the xbox itself). You can then access this "server" and play just about every popular format of video or music or picture in existence, ranging from normal JPGs to MP3/WMA through to Xvid/AVI/WMV.

Now, here's where it gets clever. Say you have backed up one of your DVD's to an ISO image on your server. As long as this image is in the file share or browse-able by the xbox it can play the DVD from the ISO image! You do not need to even extract it. This also works with RAR files and ZIP - clever eh!

This has several advantages over the Media Extender in that it plays all formats of video and music however, the Extender will for sure play live tv.

This is my prime usage of my 2 xbox's as its a damn sight cheaper than splashing out for Sonos gear or other similar - plus i get to play games too!

A moded xbox can also link into RSS newsfeeds (downloads the latest news to it when you turn it on), the weather (again downloads this when its turned on) and, allthough in beta, even has a web browser! You can also plug into Shoutcast aswell but Ive not experimented with this.

OK. Thats the media "summary". Now for your other question. Yes you can backup your games to the local disk of the xbox meaning that once you have purchased the game you then backup to the local disk and play it without the need of the original disk. You will of course need to replace the tiny disk supplied but these are ATA133 IDE 3.5inch disk which are very cheap and very common. They are the same type that are found in most old'ish PC's.

If you do contemplate this idea, look at spending around 100nuggets (40 for the mod chip and 60 for the disk) and then a crate of beer for someone to fit/program it for you. Its not something I would recommend doing solo first time round.

If you are interested in doing this then PM me. I will not tell you how to do it but, I will point you to some interesting sites.

P.s. Yes this can all be done over a 54g network.
    P.p.s You can also put the box into NTSC and with suitable equipment/games play in HiDef!
    p.p.p.s This is all CHIP modding and not Softmodding - to which i know nothing about.

12. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    a toy!!! its not a toy!! :eek: its my baby thats what it is!! the PS2 is a toy!!!

Hi lisa :hiya:

Gary

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    God, so much to take in.
    Thanks for the very helpful replies.
    Ive looked in to the soft mod and at the moment i think its all i need as long as i can play my backed up games (by that i mean "safety copies") so mickrick i may be in touch soon. thanks fro the offer.
    Monty, thats a hell of a reply, thanks for taking the trouble. to be honest its seems like its just turning a games machine in to a full blowen PC and while thats a good idea i dont really need all that as i have a very good PC with 2x200gb HD's in the same room running in to my AV amp and TV so i would be just duplicating it and making it more difficult for my girlfriend (not such a bad thing i guess).
    Thanks again guys and Gals

Dave.

14. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139

You are of course, welcome (im a fast typer)!

The Xbox is a PC just MS tried to hide it from Jo Public. It has an Intel Processor inside, ram, gfx card and hard disk. You can even load Linux on to it although I did not hear much about the project to get Windows NT onto it ... wonder if that was ever successfull ? :confused: Oh and you can have USB ports as well meaning you can even plug in a normal mouse and keyboard :D

Enjoy your new AV toy! We all do :D

15. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    I think ill get the Xbox and have a play with it first. get used to it then try the softmod.
    Is there anything i should look out for when i get one. i know there are different versions but dont know if i should just get any.
    now, just got to explain to the girl friend why we need it as we have a PC, ps1, ps2 all in the same room (not to mention 2 dvd players.)

thanks again

Dave.