What can I use to clean/ degrease a cooker hood

wiz

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
any suggestion it's stainless steel if that makes a difference

:lease:

Citrus degreaser. I think fairy liquid has salts in it which can scratch the metal. Just make sure you rinse off any excess with a wet cloth to avoid discolouration of the stainless. You can buy specific stainless cleaner but I find it pants when you have got thick grease to remove.

Stainless steel hood, just plain water and a microfibre cloth will do the trick, no need for any chemicals.

When I used to run a cafe years back, we used to do a blitz every month on the extractor hood (stainless steel) using a product called 'Grease Buster'.

I have a feeling that this is the modern day equivalent ?

I use washing up liquid and hot water but then mines never that greasy I am a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning cookers Hobson and hoods. I did however clean the mother in laws last time we was visiting and hers looked like it had not been done in years. I used cillit bang mainly because it was what she had in the cupboard also gave it a blast with one of those penguin steam cleaners which are crap as you get more umph out of the kettle when it's boiling. But the bang stuff worked a treat at breaking down the grease.I seem to remember there's a warning on the back about stainless steel surfaces but it didn't harm hers but I did go over it after with hot water and a clean cloth to make sure there was residue left behind.

I'm not sure that'll do the trick. If it's quite bad I'd use Lakeland's 'Oven-Mate'...

Oven Mate - Lakeland, the home of creative kitchenware

It does for us, black domino hobs in stainless steel worktop, stainless steel backsplash thing, stainless steel extractor hood, 4 stainless steel ovens, 3 undermount stainless steel sinks, stainless steel warmining drawer and a fully clad stainless steel amercian style fridge freezer. No chemicals, just ecloth and water, comes up absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Guys :smashin:

What can I use to clean/ degrease a cooker hood

any suggestion it's stainless steel if that makes a difference

:lease:

the wife?

You know what they say. If you want it done properly.... :D

Mr Muscle (Kitchen) is VERY good at shifting grease

Once you have cleaned with warm soapy water, dry thoroughly and wipe over baby oil with kitchen paper towel.

It will bring back brand new.

We have a S/S fridge/freezer and use this regularly.

No need for any fancy cleaners or sealers.

Once you have cleaned with warm soapy water, dry thoroughly and wipe over baby oil with kitchen paper towel.

Actually you are spot on, forgot to add that to my post :facepalm:

e-cloth with water to get it clean, then the oil and no finger printer or water marks or anything. And best of all no need to buy cleaners and have chemicals in your food areas.

The best method I have found for doing this is:

Squirt any kitchen surface cleaner on to the hood. (Clitit bang is also very good at cleaning Stainless Steel, but any kitchen cleaner will do the job.)
Place paper towels on the hood to cover the surface.
Spray some more cleaner on the towels until they are all soaked.
Leave for 20-30mins.
Remove the paper towels and wipe down.

The grease and dirt should now be gone as the cleaning fluid has broken down the grease. It really is as easy as that. :)

:D:D:D

Thought you used the baby oil for something else :devil::D

Spookily enough I cleaned ours today, with the steam cleaner and a rather decent quality microfibre cloth. Comes up a treat. Also did the microwave with it to. All very quick and easy.

Re the baby oil, I'd have thought that would attract and show finger marks?

I find using my hands is best. Tried with my feet a few times but not quite up to scratch. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom