Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What can I get new for £1000?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timmy C, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I'm trying to find a projector for my brother but don't really know what's what around the £1000 mark. It can be LCD or DLP but it has to be new as he lives in Singapore so will probably buy it there. He'll be using it with a Harman Kardon DVD 22 which has progressive component out. His screen is 84 inches and he will be sitting about 12ft back from it. He'll be using it for dvd movies only. No gaming,satelite etc.

What do you suggest?

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I would have thought someone would have had something to say!

My brothers now looking at the Panasonic PT-AE 700. I know it's meant to be good but what are the main rivals and which if any is better?

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    To be honest Timmy this question is asked so many times that I think people get tired answering it. A bit of research on this forum will reveal the usual suspects of the Panasonic AE700, Sanyo Z3, Hitachi PJTX100, Infocus 4805 and Themescene H30a. There are others. If you want HiDef capable the first 3 are the way to go. The Z3 seems the bargain of the moment (£850ish) with a free bulb. You also get a 3yr warranty with the Sanyo, you don't with the Panasonic for example. The 4805 has dropped further to £800ish I think.

The first 3 are LCD, the latter 2 are DLP. They are all extremely capable machines...PJ :)

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Thanks, I realise this sort of question gets asked a lot but in the higher price brackets the prices are changing on a regular basis and I assume it's the same at this price point. What may have been the thing to have a few weeks back may not be the best now.

The thing is I know my brother won't bother getting a demo (big mistake with a pj!) so I'm just trying to make sure he gets something that well liked and a good price. After a fair bit of reading last night I think the Z3 may be a good idea.

5. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I've got no complaints with it, and I paid nearly a £1000 for it without a spare bulb. At £800 plus spare bulb it's a steal. I'm kinda surprised that Panasonic haven't responded as they're more or less peas in a pod, so you'd have to be mad now to pay the extra for no real good reason.

Regards

Mark

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Thanks Mark. I think the Z3 is the best option. Unless someone want's to try and tell me otherwise!

7. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Z3 with filters is amazing. Ofcourse even without filters its good. Only problem is sitting at 12 feet is bit too far from 84" screen.

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Turns out it's 100" after all. I'm about to order a Z3 now!