What can i do?

pez_555

Hey guys,

over the last couple of days i have noticed my 3GS has started developing a crack. The crack is located between the small section between the headphone jack and the besel.

i bought the phone in August 2009.

To you this might not mean much, but to me i cant really believe this. i have never dropped it and its always been protected.

will Apple replace this? theoretically they should as it is a very expensive piece of kit and i wouldnt expect any kind of flaw in the design. Plus how am i to know if it is going to get worse or not?

cheers will appreciate any input.

mrash

There is only one way to find out, pop in to your local apple store. If the phone operates perfectly fine, i doubt they will swap it out though.

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Hey guys,

over the last couple of days i have noticed my 3GS has started developing a crack. The crack is located between the small section between the headphone jack and the besel.

i bought the phone in August 2009.

To you this might not mean much, but to me i cant really believe this. i have never dropped it and its always been protected.

will Apple replace this? theoretically they should as it is a very expensive piece of kit and i wouldnt expect any kind of flaw in the design. Plus how am i to know if it is going to get worse or not?

cheers will appreciate any input.

Bought in August you say? Still in warranty then... take it in and they'll swap it. Do yourself a favour though... I wouldn't bother trying apple tomorrow... ;)

pez_555

thanks for the replies guys.

yea its still in warranty thank god.

was just wanting some peoples opinions because its such a small crack (yet still visible if you hold it in your hand).

will go in on saturday. no way am i going tomorrow!

bobbytoad

i've 3 tiny cracks sound like yours one from headphone socket to bezzel and one each underneath from each of the screws to bezzel hardly visible but will be replacing before warranty expires
is it a white phone by any chance?

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
i've 3 tiny cracks sound like yours one from headphone socket to bezzel and one each underneath from each of the screws to bezzel hardly visible but will be replacing before warranty expires

I take it white phones are more prone? I've just bought a white 3GS from a friend and there's still a ton of warranty on it. If it develops a crack, do I need to provide proof of purchase or is the serial etc enough?

pez_555

no its black. I understand its a common problem, i just hope i get an employee who is in a good mood on saturday....

pez_555

Just to update everyone on this, i finally took my 3GS to the genius bar last night.

They replaced it there and then, excellent service.

The crack was so small it was barely noticeable but the guy seemed nice and literally as soon as he saw it he said they can replace it.

thank you Apple :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom