What can I do with a Kenwood KR-V8050 receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by canistil, Feb 11, 2014.

1. canistil

canistil
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am new to the forum and I have no idea about AV equipments and I would like some advice/pointers to get me started.

I've had a Kenwood KR-V8050 for quite a while, bought by my father I don't know when and handed to me. I don't know how to use it and never used it. In fact, I am not even quite clear what this thing is exactly for. The extent of my knowledge with respect to AV things stops at knowing that stereo means 2 channel and 5.1 is center + 4 speakers + sub-woofer.

I don't watch TV, I don't watch movies at home and I don't really listen to music. I do play some video games on my PS3.

Is there any use to this receiver for me? My wife wants me to set up some kind of audio system to listen to music at home. Should I get a $3 MP3 player from eBay and somehow hook it up to the receiver? Or should I just ditch this and buy one of those BOSE or whatever audio system that streams from your smartphone? Can I use the receiver for games somehow, mindful that the receiver is quite old (like, newest audio technologies supported?)?
    I am moving in the near future. If I can make use of this, I would, but if not, I'd like to reduce the the number of things I'd have to carry.

If I don't need this too much, what would be a reasonable price I can get for the receiver that's working well and in a very good cosmetic condition, with the remote? Would anyone be interested in something like this?

I also have some questions about speakers, which I think belong better on the speaker board, so if you will follow me there to help me out with those, you are very welcome to do that.

Some basic questions about what I should do with my speakers | AVForums

Thank you for reading.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    This receiver was produced in 1992 so is now worth $20-30 at most, if it still works you could connect it up to some speakers that work and plug in a game console/mp3 player/tv etc.However it wont have the more modern connectors like hdmi etc.You would use the rca connectors to connect the game console etc.

3. canistil

canistil
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. So I will try to dispose of it.