What can I do against this racist numpty ?

TylerDurden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was online last night, played a few games of R6V with a few forum guys :hiya: My connection was playing up and I lost the session. I rebooted my 360 and got an invite to another game, these guys weren't on my friends list but I recall playing with them a few days ago so I joined that session. In the lobby my connection was showing as only a single red circle and one of the guys in the game starting going -
****, ****, bud, bud, ding, ding, etc :nono:
towards me (racist comments regarding Pakistanis). I though the guy was a bid of an idiot and just ignored him. The game started and he didn't make anymore comments like that. When in the lobby for the next game, a few more people joined and one of them had a bad connection and had the red circle, this guy started up again with the same crap. (I can only imagine the red circle reminded him of a bindi) At this point I said "I'd like to say something before starting the next game" and continued to say that "I'm married to an Asian woman" (my wifes family is from India) and that "I didn't appreciate the racist comments that had been made", this was met with stoney silence and a couple of guys in the lobby started to laugh/snigger :rolleyes:. The guy who had been making the comments then replied along the lines of "he didn't think this was the place for political correctness". At this point I exited the session and left the guy bad rep and submitted a player complaint.

The guys gamertag is fallenknight2, can I ask you all to also bad rep him ? Will bad rep / a complaint against him actually do anything ?

He really bugged me, infact I was more annoyed that my wife.

Unfortunately we can't give him bad rep unless we've played ith him ourselves.
Maybe you could send an email off to microsoft or something but as far as i know bad rep is all you can really do.

I doubt there is much you can do past bad rep and complaints.

I've seen some idiots with names like "mein kampf" and other nazi themed names on Battlefield as well as some combat18 and bnp names.

Generally I message all my freinds and we proceed to team-kill them across every game, but thats just because i'm petty. :rolleyes:

The idiots of XBox live strike again. It was people like that which made me stop playing random ranked games on gears, the amount of times the N word has come out directed at me for killing some dude with a chainsaw/frag tag or i've ran off then done him is stupid (i'm black by the way). Its just wrong but what can be done? one complaint is just gonna fall on deaf ears with M$. Best thing to do really is just play with people on your list. I know it kinda wrecks the whole point of online play but at least you know you're not in a room full of bigots.

The idiots of XBox live strike again. It was people like that which made me stop playing random ranked games on gears, the amount of times the N word has come out directed at me for killing some dude with a chainsaw/frag tag or i've ran off then done him is stupid (i'm black by the way). Its just wrong but what can be done? one complaint is just gonna fall on deaf ears with M$. Best thing to do really is just play with people on your list. I know it kinda wrecks the whole point of online play but at least you know you're not in a room full of bigots.

ill stick up for you big puff

It might not be much consolation or help, but just ignore it, it means nothing. The only reason these people say these things are because they are safe. Half of these people are a bunch of nerds who got bullied at school and like to have a big mouth online, they're as quiet as a mouse on the street. :)

It might not be much consolation or help, but just ignore it, it means nothing. The only reason these people say these things are because they are safe. Half of these people are a bunch of nerds who got bullied at school and like to have a big mouth online, they're as quiet as a mouse on the street. :)

sounds like you ya geek:D

anyway back on topic tyler your on my friends list come an play with the big boys and have a good run and gun with the avf crew and censored em m8

At this point I exited the session and left the guy bad rep and submitted a player complaint.
That's all you can do.

You can't educate all the idiots on LIVE!; there are too many of them. Just do what you did and fill your friends list up with people you can trust.

I'm sending you an FR to help ;)

Just try and rise above it mate.
You have already done all you realisticly can. It's hard to ignore though, some people are just out and out racist's and some just don't realise how hurtful this type of thing can be.

Thanks for the comments guys (and friends request which has been accepted) I guess I'll be sticking with you bunch of miscreants from now on :smashin:

A few friends requests of my own sent also.

I'm on your side mate.

Ignore the morons!

Interesting points made here regarding racism...when I originally logged into Live I chose a vague WW2 German name that I only chose to wind up the odd German who might have understood it but I meant no offence to anyone else ("Don't mention the war!")...I thought I was being a bit naughty/cheeky and had no idea of what to expect from other gamers...upon one of my first games online in COD2 I saw a young American kid running around with the tag Hitler! Subtlety and Americans are not normal bed partners! It was a few months later that for two reasons I changed my tag...1. I didn't want to offend anyone (I had to explain my username to a german guy on my friends list..he just laughed..i felt guilty!) and reason 2. Everyone thought I was a real German on COD2 and kept killing me (irony anyone!) I don't pay too much attention to names and there are a few "choice" ones out there, I have seen pro-Alqaeda (probably just to wind up us Brits and the Americans!) loads of German SS WW2 names (to wind up the Germans!) pro-IRA ones, etc and so forth...they are there to get a reaction and "I think" not to make a real political/racial comment and if I am honest if I find a name offensive I just normally go for the guy that little bit more. American kids seem to use "N" word the same way we would say "mate", it's a cultural thing and I really don't think they see it in the way we do...disturbing I know. What I also found disturbing was during one game on BF2 a few American men not children, began abusing someone who was obviously a female gamer with a female gamertag...these misogynists just wouldn't let go, this was real hate all because she was better than they were...I have to say I was cowardly and kept quiet apart from the odd complaint and in the end when they tried to kill her I was defending her and killing them back...when it died down the person decided to speak and it turned out to be a guy...i was soooo confused :confused:...and felt like I needed to shower...weird! I am sure everyone has many stories relating to the above.

Utlimately, online can be a lottery and a lot of the time if I play online without friends I unhook the mike...shame but way too many idiots.:thumbsdow

the amount of times the N word has come out directed at me for killing some dude with a chainsaw

Yeah but mate - you are a Noob! :rotfl:

Back on topic - It is not acceptable in any way shape or form Tyler but I think the only thing you can do is what you have done already, neg rep and complaint filed. :smashin:

Apologies as this isnt regarding racism. But the other night I was playing Bomberman - and I play with the voice volume right down so I dont hear any comments other layers are making. (Ive since found the setting to hear only friends).

Anyway after a couple of matches I left the session as I had other things to do. The next day I turned the xbox on to find a voice message from one of the players. I could hardly make out what he was saying but the message was littered with swear words and I think he thought I took offence to the in game comments (which I couldnt hear).

If they've riled you to the point of making a complaint, then others that they treat in the same way will do the same. MS do restrict voice comms and more for persistant offenders. Rest assured that they will get their just desserts eventually.

I just wish that there was a system to notify reporters when their complaints had been upheld.

I've been making use of the mute function alot recently. I've found that if most people in a room mute a trouble maker, they often quit early anyway.

Yes , it is not adviseable to go on Live if you are easily offended or cant tolerate bad language.
Sounds like the guy was a proper racist.

But i have been in rooms and participated in calling those who come in with red dots , Communisits lol (in Jest), based on the red & the lag and some people do take offence but TBH if you join a room to play and not talk , then your better off not listening either as you will only get frustrated with people like this.

More likely they're the bullies, mate.:thumbsdow
Yeah but mate - you are a Noob! :rotfl:
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Virtual strikes again.:rolleyes:

Tyler, I think you've been on my list for ages, don't know if we've played though. Screw randoms & stick to AVF, expect invites to come your way.:smashin:

You've done what any respectable person would do:

Give a bad rep, add to ignore list so as not to meet them in game ever again.

I've stopped using my headset and turned of voices for this very reason. Far to often you get numpty's on, kids i can forgive but adults should know better.

Think i need to have you guys as friends

Dr evilest: More like their the bullies:thumbsdow

You do have a point their but IMO there are so many of those stereotypical "nerds" out there that i just have to laugh take this example i pressed a couple wrong button on GOW and started using a pistol this kid started laughing and saying ha ha your using a pistol. sometimesi just have to laugh it off. And try putting your gamertag as GOW Master123 then realising your not really as good as you think i get the mick taken out of me ALL the time I know you can change your name but why should you give in to these idiots.

Note: i did try quoting dr evilest but the quote function wouldnt work.

If they've riled you to the point of making a complaint, then others that they treat in the same way will do the same. MS do restrict voice comms and more for persistant offenders. Rest assured that they will get their just desserts eventually.

I just wish that there was a system to notify reporters when their complaints had been upheld.

I've been making use of the mute function alot recently. I've found that if most people in a room mute a trouble maker, they often quit early anyway.

i just ignore them and mute them which ive done often, plus neg rep file complaint etc.

best bet is to play against russians,, french etc due to the fact that if they bad-mouth u, u havent a clue what they are saying.:D

i heard that if someone in a room receives a number of file complaints they can be banned, not sure how many maybe all the players in the room, but u cant get people who havent played to file a complaint against them they have to be in the room the guy was, so maybe he would get banned if the 7 players that played against him filed complaints.

I think it's more like a certain number of complaints within a time period. If it was just all the people in a room, it'd be open to abuse.

I've been slagged off by Eastern Europeans before. You can tell because it goes:

"Blah de blah de blah de blah CODEHEAD UK blah de blah, Ha ha ha hah ahahahahahahaa."

I think it's more like a certain number of complaints within a time period. If it was just all the people in a room, it'd be open to abuse.

I've been slagged off by Eastern Europeans before. You can tell because it goes:

"Blah de blah de blah de blah CODEHEAD UK blah de blah, Ha ha ha hah ahahahahahahaa."

They may of course have been complimenting you on your wondrous skills with the hammer mate :rolleyes:

TBH , to them , it may be a little close to another expletive.
"****HEAD" lol
They find the funny side of most things.

BTW Mods!! I haven't circumvented the swear filter , i just choose to use stars.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom