what can be recorded

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by stegalv, May 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I am presently using the panasonic dvd recorder but because of the limited amount that can be recorded on a disc i am thinking of buying one of the hd recorders.
    my question is can recorders like the thompson/humax/pace etc be used to record programmes from other sources e.g my cable box, or can only programmes from their own freeview broadcasts be recorded.?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The only HDD PVR that can record from any UK TV source is TiVo. All the others can only record from their internal tuners.
    Therefore if you have more than a single source that you want to record (or cable as they do not have a dedicated PVR) then you can only do it with a TiVo.

Mark.

3. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Thomson dth 7000 can and with no subscription either.

It is essentially a very good machine that suffers from a few software bugs but if you accept this and use the simple work arounds below it gives exceptional recording quality.

WORK AROUNDS = disable PDC, disable AUTOCLOCK and when setting the record timer remove any forward slashes (/) from the program titles (BBC1 & BBC2 programs only)

Thomson seem to be dropping the DTH 7000 because of the software bugs and you can find them available on ebay for around £200 (used to be around £500 six months ago)
    I think I read somewhere last week that Argos have just dropped their price from £400 to £300.

I bought one on ebay last week and am so far very impressed with it's performance, I doubt you'll find anything else like this for the money.

Regards, MikeD

4. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Why not get a E85 around £450. Compatible with your existing media and has DVD recording which the Thomson DTH 7000 does not.

5. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks for all the replys,why do they build these hd recorders without a simple input to allow you to record from external sources.
    It just means alll you can record is the normal 1 to 5 channels as the rest if the freeview channels are fairly usless.
    Fred as i already have a dvd recorder and i only use it to record tv programmes it seems a waste of money to buy another that wo'nt be used at all, but thanks for the suggestion.

6. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    My thought was you could sell the E??.

7. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Sorry if my reply was'nt clear Fred? what i was trying to say was that if i had a hd recorder i would have no need for a dvd recorder so half of the E85 would be redundant.