What can £2000 achieve in home cinema??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sameerabedi, Apr 22, 2007.

1. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dear all,
    I have just moved into my first house and hope to start decking out the living room with all my audiovisual needs. Starting from scratch, I need absolutely everything, so what could I achieve with £2000 (max £2500, if push came to shove)?

The living room is 16'3ft by 12'7ft. The TV will be wall-mounted and the cabling to the TV will be hidden behind the wall. There'll be a unit for the DVD player, Sky HD, AV reciever and game machine at some point to fit into, and obviously there'll be surround sound.

So what should I get? What TV? DVD player/recorder? AV receiver? Speaker system? The choices are endless, so where should I compromise? What connections due I need to be future proof? 2 HDMIs? 3 HDMIs? Upscaling or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray? The choices are endless.

Reading through various forums all equipment is catered for, someone out there owns it so what are the best to buy with the budget I've got? Can it even be achieved?

I'm hoping I'll get a long list of recommendations and what I need to do to design the perfect system for my house!
    Many thanks for reading and more for answering (in advance)!
    Thanks

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I doubt I will achieve getting that lot for £2000 but here goes....

As for compromising or sticking to a budget, if you want to do either, stay clear of these forums!!! ;)

TV - It depends on how big a set you want or if you want(need) 1080p etc. but remember the bigger the set, the worse Standard Def TV looks. A bigger set will also look pants if you sit too close to it IMHO. As you mention a games console, you would probably be better off with a LCD. The LCD of choice at the moment is the Sony KDL40W2000 at around £1350. New models to look out for are Samsung M86/M87and Toshiba X/Z series'. If you only need a 32" have a look at the Panasonic TX-32LXD70 £700. I'm waiting to see how good the Toshibas are before I consider changing my TV.

DVD recorder - Panasonic DMR-EZ25 (£150) would be a good bet (or Pioneer equivalent). The 25 model is soon to be replaced by a EZ27 model (1080p upscaling) so you might get a bargain. If it's just a bog standard DVD player, I have a Sony NS76H which I'm more than happy with and it only cost me £90.

For AV Receiver, hmm, Onkyo 674E £400 or Sony 3200ES £500. Both would accept a LPCM signal via HDMI. Both seem to be popular at the moment for what they do at their price level. There are numerous threads on both receivers on this forum.

Speakers - I like Monitor Audio (I'm want to upgrade to MA Silver series) and you could get 2x MA Bronze BR1 for £270 (front and rear), 1x MA Bronze BRLCR £120 and a BK XLS200 Sub for £290. The full MA Bronze AV kit using BR2's and the MA sub costs £790. You'll find Monitor Audio at petertyson and you should be able to negotiate a discount. If you want smaller 'lifestyle' type speakers have a look at Kef2005 etc or the Cantons which are available in the powerbuy of the speaker forum.

As for BluRay or HD-DVD?! I'm not going to even bother going there. Each have their merits e.g. HD-DVD is region free but BluRay has better studio support etc. etc. and both have entry level machines out there at around £350. The PS3 swung it for me, so I have gone BluRay. There are certain titles that aren't out on BluRay which is annoying, so I suppose I could get a HD add-on for my 360 but will hold off for now. The Xbox 360 is a far better games machine (for now) as there are loads of good games out there and XBL blows Sony's poor online efforts thus far. The games lineup for the PS3 is pretty dire but will no doubt get better.

So...
    TV - £1350
    DVD Recorder - £150
    Amp - £500
    Speakers - £680
    Total - £2680 plus cables

See, I told you I couldn't do it. I'm sure someone will though!! :D

You would be better dividing your budget up and then ask about each kit separately in the specific forum.

3. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Games machine will be a long way away, but I like the idea of Blu-ray on the PS3, so what I may do is continue with my current DVD recorder (a Toshiba RD-XS32), old but does the job and then purchase a HD-DVD player later. That'll free up some cash for other equipment.

I've always been a fan of plasma and would be looking for a 42" set - any recommendations?
    In terms of future-proofing, amp-wise, are there any systems which support TrueHD surround sound yet? They're probably way too expensive.
    Lastly do u have some links for speaker packages?
    Thanks for the advice!

4. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    £400 for blu ray player, i.e. PS3.
    £1k for Toshiba HDMI 1.3 X-series TV. 42incher
    £4-500 for above mentioned amps.
    £500 for speaker set. Look on superfi as they tend to have best deals around that price.

That laves some change for wires, etc.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If you go for Plasma make sure you go easy on it for the first 200 hours or so. I set up one at work (Hitachi 42") and got some settings from this forum for the first 200 hours and post 200 hours. The picture wasn't getting the best feed (RF analogue) so I couldn't really tell how good the set was. It looked ok on DVD. The Panasonic TH-42PX70 was going for £950 on play a while back, not sure if it still is. It's not true full HD but apparently it's a cracking set. There is a lengthy thread on it here. To achieve 1080p True HD you're looking at serious coin though. There are a few links on the plasma forum, also have a look for Pioneer, richer sounds usually have deals on especially now that newer models are coming out. You would get a better answer posting this question on the plasma forum.

HDMI 1.3 amps not out yet but those mentioned will process a 5.1 LPCM signal via HDMI which is the best you can hope for at the moment.

Speaker packages-

QAcoustics 1010
    MA Bronze
    MA Radius 45
    KEF KHT2005

I'm not a fan of lifestyle speakers, they don't have enough clout for my liking.

6. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,213
    For £1009 you could go to creative-audio.co.uk and get:

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HCS_ONK674_Q1000.htm

plus a Denon 1930 dvd player.

(Without the Denon 1930 it's £790 for the amp and speakers).

Package includes:

Onkyo TX-SR674E
    Q Acoustics 1000 speakers (1010 5.1)
    35m 79 strand speaker cable
    10 gold plated 4mm plugs
    5m Subwoofer lead
    1.5m phono to phono lead
    1m Digital coaxial lead
    On-screen menu lead

For an extra £150 (total £1159) you can upgrade the wire to 35m of QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cable with Mk1 Airloc plugs.

That would leave you £1340 to buy the tv, so you could just about get the Sony KDL40W2000, as someone suggested above.

Or buy the Toshiba for about £1000. The saving would cover the cost of the Samsung Blu-ray player BDP-1000 (£350 at https://www.electrical-shopping.com/product.asp?ProductID=374&CatID=7).

If you didn't want to upgrade the speaker wire yet, that £150 would cover the cost of Sky HD.

7. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Absolutely brilliant! I'm gonna find out a bit more about the AV reciever u suggest and the speaker package. Are u able to tell me a bit more about them?
    I've got my heart set on a plasma so I'm gonna look at the Panasonic and Pioneer 42" which I've seen for around £1300 on the net.

8. Jakakadave

Jakakadave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd definitely recommend the Sharp LC 42XD1E - 42 inch LCD 1080p and can be had for as little as £1040.

Denon 1930 DVD player for £200

Sony STR -DA 3200ES - £500

Duo Acoustics Duo-77a's - £695

So that comes to £2345 - you have change to put towards your PS3 for Blu ray!

9. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do u have some links for the Duo Acoustics?

10. Trancerii

Trancerii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
  11. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    IMHO I would steer clear of the Duo speakers. My mate has a set and he's had nothing but trouble with some of it, mostly quality control issues (missing items, holes not drilled for front speaker bases, a subwoofer that hums (they sent him the same unit back as a replacement) and the fact that they don't answer emails or phone calls and as they're such a small outfit, when they disappear to a show, there is no-one left at their office to address any customer care problems. They sound not bad but personally I don't think they're beefy enough to handle powerful AV receivers. They do look nice though!!!

12. Lufer

Lufer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I love the Panny PH9 panels. They don't have speakers or the a receiver but with all the other kit you don't need that. At around £950 (see power buys from AV sales) they are great value.

I'm also considering the Onkyo AVR which seems to be getting good reviews at around £400. Many places will then do you a 'speaker' deal in conjunction with the amp as stated above.

Leaves plenty of spare to get your equipment racks and stuff.

13. sjj84

sjj84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm in exactly the same postion mate, moving into my first place and priorities are set on the entertainment system. I move in next Wednesday and have everything waiting in boxes except the tv which I'm picking up tomorrow. All together I've probably spent around your budget of £2500. I'll have, and it's probably nothing like the system that some of the others have on this forum,
    Samsung PS50Q96HD plasma - £1200
    Harman Kardon AVR245 with 'the bridge' - £400
    Harman Kardon DVD47 - £250
    B&W DM602 - £250
    B&W DM600 - £180
    B&W LCR60 - £180
    stands for the fronts - £45
    assorted cabling £200ish
    That comes to £2700 so only a little over your budget. Can't wait to get it all set up next week.

14. Toonaroond

Toonaroond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My advice is to watch the for sale thread here and buy great quality second hand gear at much reduced prices. Just recently there have been some reference standard Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer amps, great quality DVD players/recorders form Denon, Panasonic and Pioneer again some ultra cool speakers systems (orbs, gallos, acoustic energy, mission m cubes etc), all the cables you could need and some great projector bargains all within your budget. You could have bought all of the above for under £1.5k and still have up to £1k left for your TV!

If there is anything you've bought that you don't get on with then you can sell it for pretty much the same as you bought it for (rather than for 2/3s of the price if new!) and try something else instead.

Whats best is that the people who sell on this forum are generally honest, helpful and reliable - well 99.9% of the time anyway!

Just my opinion...

15. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Where can I go to get ready made HTPC's? The one on the website link u provided looks excellent.

16. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The panasonic TV's r looking more and more appealing. How important is it that I have 'full HD' as there is nothing that will broadcast at 1080p? I have an extensive DVD collection, but is the upscaling to 1080p much better than upscaling to 1080i?

Visited my local SEVENOAKS store and saw the panasonic and pioneer sets side by side, there is little to seperate the two. Also saw the Fujitsu, which looked even better, but then a)it's more expensive and b)SD wasn't as good as the panny or pioneer.

I think I've settled on the amp and speaker package, but the most important purchase will be the television.
    The problem with these forums is the sheer amount of information to get through! Panasonic do 4 different 42" sets, the px60, px70, px600 and px700. Which one should I get??? They all have very similar features!
    Thanks all!

17. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    If you are looking to discuss just the TV's now, please start a thread in the LCD or Plasma forum sections :)

18. Bobbaford

Bobbaford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to spend approx £2000 on the setup in my spare room - to officially be my gaming room.

I am looking at:-
    Sammy le40m87 - sub £1000 now
    Sony DG910 AV Receiver - sub £300
    Q-Acoustics 1010 5.1 - £450

Leaves £250ish for cables etc...
    Unless someone could suggest otherwise?

I was also looking at the new Onkyo 605 AVR for approx £400 as supports True HD, DTS HD etc for when i get ps3 :)

19. Toonaroond

Toonaroond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Personally I'd go for a projector instead of the TV, you can get bloody good ones new for that sort of money or you could dip your toe in the water and buy a second hand one off these forums for about half that amount and get a great PJ.....spend the rest of your money on a screen and some blackout blinds and you're laughing!

20. Kelster

Kelster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, a Projector is a good solution.....but you must consider the Life of the Proj. Bulb - If used for plenty of gaming you may find that the bulb goes way too soon.

Some Projs - have about a 2000hr lifespan - I have a Panny AE900 which I use for Blu-Ray and occasional gaming. Still only about 400 hours use i believe.

Some Projs often come with a spare bulb though - It might have been the Sanyo one - if you are still interested in Projectors check out the Projector - LCD forum.

21. Bobbaford

Bobbaford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have considered projectors but my available wall space doesnt warrant the use of one (only about 60" which i know is big still but will only have a throw of approx 10ft) and also i was a Ful HD display which still seem to be real expensive - did look at panny AE1000 which is still about £2500 i believe?
    Do you have any thoughts on the audio side of things?

22. Kelster

Kelster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, I would consider the Onkyo 605 £399 - and would connect well with the PS3 as its predecesor did - aslo consider the new Sony DG910 (?) - around £300 and similar features to the ES3200 model. LPCM sound through the HDMI lead. Saves using an optical lead.

Seriously consider the SVS 5.1 setup for speakers - all i've heard is good things. I have a SVS SB12 plus and i can only provide a most positive response.:thumbsup:

If you go through the forum here you can pick up a package from AV Sales for under £900, if you ask nicely they might throw in some cables as well. If woudl consider a Demo though - if you are in the SE area it might be worth a trip

23. N0RTHERN M0NKEY

N0RTHERN M0NKEY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I've just gone for:

Speakers £565: Aego T

https://secure.visav.co.uk/forum-hi...showitem=258&gclid=CI2xlbfXoowCFQzclAodejpW0w

Amp £300: Onkyo 674

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/ONKYO-TX-SR674E-367-.htm?gclid=CIS_nN-GkooCFTFZMAodZBCthg

Telly £900: Just got a projector and screen off here second hand, but as a telly I'm happy with my Panasonic PX60 - the new model is out now though - can't be any worse

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Plasma-TVs-16/All-Plasmas-392/PANASONIC-TH-42PS9-392-.htm

PS3 £400ish
    Xbox 360: £400ish with HD-DVD add on

Total:£2565.

24. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Crunch time is fast approaching and I'm soon going to have to part with some cash.

So I've decided too purchase the Panasonic th42px70 after reading hundreds of pages about it on this forum and other sites, it seems to be the best available, short of 'full HD'.

I think at this stage the PS3 is a distant dream. I'll purchase the denon dvd-1930 to upscale my DVD collection which leaves an amp and speakers purely for sound (movies and music). For this purpose is it better to connect the dvd player to the TV via the amp (using HDMI) or connect the DVD player to the tv via HDMI and then connect the DVD player to the amp seperately with coaxial?

So, what is the best solution? I don't really need all the video connections of the AV recievers since one HDMI will be used by the DVD player, the other by Sky HD on the TV set. I need the amp for sound so does that make a difference? As far as the speakers go, there are so many differing reviews and at this stage I'm going to choose between the AEGO T and the Q Aqoustics.

It's all about the amp I guess, what amp is best for sound???

25. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,213
    I'd suggest the Onkyo 605 for £399 from av sales. It will give you some future proofing with its HDMI connections and is meant to be an good replacement for the 674.

Otherwise the Denon amps are also very good and you could probably get the 1707 or the 1907.

26. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,213
    Just thinking about it again, you might be able to get a good deal from av-sales (forum sponsor) - have a look at this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521925.

The Panasonic PH-10 plasma is only a screen but I reckon could be better than the PH70. If you're getting Sky-HD anyway, you don't need the built-in tuner on the PH70. Just another thought :)

27. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If I'm getting the DenonDVD-1930, is it better to get a Denon amp or does it make no difference?

28. rajivkotecha

rajivkotecha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not really any difference, some equipment (i.e. those from the same manufacturer) complement each other well but in this case where you are talking about one providing the audio and the other video it really makes no difference (its not like you are talking about Denon Amp and Denon speakers say, which are both in the audio chain).

29. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    My humble :) suggestions:-

TV - you choice is the best at the moment, as PZ700 [full hd] is not getting good reviews for SD materials.

IF your DVD collection is Region 2, you should consider Toshiba HD E1 HD DVD player.

I've SKY HD connected straight to TV and *not* via AVR. I don't want AVR to be switched on all the time, while my daughter watching TV.

Onkyo SR 605 is a good choice and value for money. I've seen you chose 5.1 speakers, but have you got a chance to read subwoofer section of AVForum? Please do a bit of more research, before going ahead with 5.1 package.

Hope you set aside some money for good quality cables.

HTH

30. sameerabedi

sameerabedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What's the problem with 5.1 packages? Are the subwoofers not upto scratch?