What camera to invest in?

v CJ v

I love taking arty shots (Mainly car related).

I currently use a Casio Exilim 8.1MP (EX-Z850) It's nothing special at all, and it does what I need.

However, I fancy something better (SLR ?)

I don't want to spend any more than £400
I really don't know where to start. Do I need an SLR? Is there a Digicam alternative? What lenses should I get? What makes should I look at?

Here are a few shots I've done with my Digicam, to give you an idea of what I need it for:

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

CJ

kempez

I went from a high end point and click to a Canon EOS 400D (kit lens) and couldn't be happier with it, the difference is very marked. I've not had time to properly play but am hoping to soon. It's a great little camera with loads of options and a price tag that isn't ridiculous

Some nice shots there mate

Pirate!!

Banned
I went from a high end point and click to a Canon EOS 400D (kit lens) and couldn't be happier with it, the difference is very marked. I've not had time to properly play but am hoping to soon. It's a great little camera with loads of options and a price tag that isn't ridiculous

Some nice shots there mate
Ahoy!

Minefield ahead! Any dSLR would be a step-up. Argos have some deals on at the moment for Sony and Pentax. I've seen some quite sublime images from all the new Sony offerings (A200/300/350).

You won't do badly whatever you choose. Some have image stabilsation in-body, some in-lens. Some have live-view, some don't. Might be worth you making up a wish-list of features, then consider lenses. Try, or if all else fails, read reviews (heavy research).

I was @ Thruxton last Sunday week for the BTCC. One 'official' shooter was using an Alpha A200. He reckoned it was the boggs dollox. I know my newly aquired A700 is the muttz nuttz, but we're all different.

New models on the market all the time. Allow a budget for a medium/long zoom and a memory card . . maybe a bag/rucksack as well.

Farno

Novice Member
I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to sing the virtues of a Nikon D40. £269.99 after cash back :smashin:

A great entry DLSR. It doesnt have an internal focus motor so all the lenses have to have it built in, but there are plenty of lenses from Nikkon and sigma that offer this, and alot of these lenses have built in stability control.
Worth a look IMHO

allymac123

Novice Member
Click on the cars section of my website (here) to see shots that I took with my Canon 400D.

I'd say the two most important accesories for me doing car photography are a tripod and external flash(es). (you can start off with one for about £10 2nd hand) A polarizer is also meant to be quite handy.

jwramsay

I purchased a D40 kit recently. Added 55-200 VR for the longer shots.

Couldn't be happier, easy to use, terrific picture quality.

And CaptureNX is a great tool to use for straightening, cropping and changing the levels of those NEF files.

Have a squint here at my latest pictures.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

gasman1

Novice Member
Not much point showing us the pictures you're proud of, show us the ones you couldnt take cos of your existing kit, then we could recommend specific kit that "might" be able to help. Otherwise, you look like you're doing fine as it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom