What camera for my Panny 900

Murray

Novice Member
Is there a digital camera that would give me a HD image 720p with my Panny 900 please?

I use a Canon powershot A80 and are not happy with the images!

Would love a full 16.9 camera high def

K

Kadders

Not sure if there are any HD stills cameras, but there are a number of HD digital video cameras that will do 16x9 stills too. For instance Sanyo's Xacti HD1a.

sandstheman

Kadders said:
Not sure if there are any HD stills cameras, but there are a number of HD digital video cameras that will do 16x9 stills too. For instance Sanyo's Xacti HD1a.
Isn't any camera above 1mpx technically an HD camera??

Don't think there are any stills cameras that do 16x9 per say, but with enough megapixels you can crop down to 1280x720, or try and find a camera that takes panoramic stills

Murray

Novice Member
sandstheman said:
Isn't any camera above 1mpx technically an HD camera??

Don't think there are any stills cameras that do 16x9 per say, but with enough megapixels you can crop down to 1280x720, or try and find a camera that takes panoramic stills
Mine is 4mpx and it looks crappy!
I borrowed a 6mpx and it still looks crappy!
I was told that jpg's will always look crappy on a large screen!

A Camera shop told me if you could save them on BipMap (may have the wrong name) the image would look better, but cameras dont store that way!?!?:confused:

There has to be a way to get a HD still image on a 2.6mt wide screen using a HD projector without buying a HD Handycam? I just want the right still digital camera.:lesson: :smashin:

JorisS

Novice Member
A 4Mpix camera has a far higher resolution than your projector does....

My guess is the crappy image is the result of the projector rather than the camera? How does it look on your computer?

And are you showing the pics in 16:9 and do they show boundary-2-boundary, or do you get black bars? As the images normally aren't shot in 16:9 maybe there's some odd cropping/resizing going on?

sandstheman

Murray said:
Mine is 4mpx and it looks crappy!
I borrowed a 6mpx and it still looks crappy!
I was told that jpg's will always look crappy on a large screen!

A Camera shop told me if you could save them on BipMap (may have the wrong name) the image would look better, but cameras dont store that way!?!?:confused:

There has to be a way to get a HD still image on a 2.6mt wide screen using a HD projector without buying a HD Handycam? I just want the right still digital camera.:lesson: :smashin:
Well depending on how much you spend on a camera, the more expensive (pro models) can save in raw or tiff format which gives the best image quality. The cheaper cameras always over compress the images so that they can save more pictures in a smaller amount of space.

So may be worth seeing if you can borrow a more professional Digital SLR camera from someone and trying that, or just as a test if you go here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/page33.asp

Download one of the sample pictures, crop it and save, with maximum image quality if your saving as jpg again, and see how it comes out. Those are 12mpx samples

Murray

Novice Member
JorisS said:
A 4Mpix camera has a far higher resolution than your projector does....

My guess is the crappy image is the result of the projector rather than the camera? How does it look on your computer??
QUOTE]
And are you showing the pics in 16:9 and do they show boundary-2-boundary, or do you get black bars? ?[/QUOTE]My Canon A80 is 4.3 like most cameras so yes I have balck sides on the 16.9 image?[/QUOTE]As the images normally aren't shot in 16:9 maybe there's some odd cropping/resizing going on?[/QUOTE]The projector is a Panasonic 900 HD 720p?[/My Canon A80 is 4.3 like most cameras so yes I have balck sides on the 16.9 image.

K

Kadders

OK - not sure what you are really asking here! Do you actually want to shoot in 16x9? If not, you can crop the pics to make the aspect ratio correct, or stitch panoramas to get the same effect. For instance, this is very good:
http://www.panoramafactory.com/

If you do want native 16x9 from a stills camera, I do not know of one!

And no, jpgs do not necessarily look crappy on a large screen! Maybe your projector is not downscaling correctly. A WXGA (1280*768) projector is less than 1 Mpixel, so maybe you could try shooting at a LOWER resolution on your camera!

Jammyb

Novice Member
How are you showing the images? Saving them to your PC and then connecting your PC to your projector using a VGA or DVI->HDMI cable?

JorisS

Novice Member
If you want to have your images as bitmaps (.bmp), you'll need to convert them using some image program in windows. But to be honest I doubt a .bmp will give a better picture quality....

a possible program would be adobe photoshop, but perhaps you can even use Paint, which comes standard with windows...

I just want to emphasize that I absolutely do not believe the camera is at fault here... seems to be some odd conversion going on somewhere, or wrong settings between pc and projector.

Jammyb

Novice Member
totally barking up the wrong tree converting them to any other format.

If you're using XP then just using the built in slideshow feature should be fine. Using this with my TX200 and 5.1MP images gives crystal clear results, can't imagine the Panny would be any different (if not quite as sharp :p)

Murray

Novice Member
Jammyb said:
How are you showing the images? Saving them to your PC and then connecting your PC to your projector using a VGA or DVI->HDMI cable?
I save them on the pc then use a prog to convert them to a slide show and then burn to dvd. They are ok on the screen but not as good as a good dvd.

Murray

Novice Member
Kadders said:
OK - not sure what you are really asking here! Do you actually want to shoot in 16x9? If not, you can crop the pics to make the aspect ratio correct, or stitch panoramas to get the same effect. For instance, this is very good:
http://www.panoramafactory.com/

If you do want native 16x9 from a stills camera, I do not know of one!

And no, jpgs do not necessarily look crappy on a large screen! Maybe your projector is not downscaling correctly. A WXGA (1280*768) projector is less than 1 Mpixel, so maybe you could try shooting at a LOWER resolution on your camera!
Im trying to get a HD image not looking for a panarama shot!

Murray

Novice Member
Jammyb said:
totally barking up the wrong tree converting them to any other format.

If you're using XP then just using the built in slideshow feature should be fine. Using this with my TX200 and 5.1MP images gives crystal clear results, can't imagine the Panny would be any different (if not quite as sharp :p)
I used to have the PJTX200 and the results were exactly the sam,,,just ok but no where near HD!

Jammyb

Novice Member
Like a photo CD? That's only going to be 840x480 or 1024x576. Interlaced at that I think.

You need to connect your PC directly to the projector with a VGA cable.

Murray

Novice Member
Jammyb said:
Like a photo CD? That's only going to be 840x480 or 1024x576. Interlaced at that I think.

You need to connect your PC directly to the projector with a VGA cable.
Im using Pro Show Gold and also VSO Photo DVD. Thats the best way for me to have everything timmed with music, fades etc etc,,,,

sandstheman

Murray said:
Im using Pro Show Gold and also VSO Photo DVD. Thats the best way for me to have everything timmed with music, fades etc etc,,,,
As JammyB has stated it's more likely that those programs are compressing your images down and resizing them to standard SD resolution, which is more than likely why they aren't lookin so great when you play them back on the projector

Jammyb

Novice Member
Fair enough, but I'm afraid the results are always going to look a bit pants, despite what the software manufacturer may claim.

mr_yogi

Like others have said it's not the camera, even my old Sony 3.2 Mpixel camera can capture sharp 1600x1200 images which is about twice the resolution of 720p. Have you got the camera set to high quality mode?

Are viewing the pictures using a SD DVD player?

Murray

Novice Member
mr_yogi said:
Like others have said it's not the camera, even my old Sony 3.2 Mpixel camera can capture sharp 1600x1200 images which is about twice the resolution of 720p. Have you got the camera set to high quality mode?

Are viewing the pictures using a SD DVD player?
Yes the camera is set to the highest res. The projector is using HDMI from the player set to 720p. But maybe its the prog that I use thats downgeading the res????

Murray

Novice Member
Jammyb said:
Fair enough, but I'm afraid the results are always going to look a bit pants, despite what the software manufacturer may claim.
So if its the progs that downgrade my images, whats the best way I can make really good slidshows with music times and fades etc? and have GREAT picture quality?

Jammyb

Novice Member
It's the fact that you're playing them from a standard DVD player that means you'll have poor image quality. Some DVD players can take Jpeg files from a DVD and then output them via HDMI at 1280x720. But you wouldn't get the fades and music this way.

The only way to get decent results is to have a PC connected to your projector. For what you want it to do even a very cheap one would be adequate. Or you could buy some sort of media box to wirelessly stream from your main PC.

Murray

Novice Member
Jammyb said:
It's the fact that you're playing them from a standard DVD player that means you'll have poor image quality. Some DVD players can take Jpeg files from a DVD and then output them via HDMI at 1280x720. But you wouldn't get the fades and music this way.

The only way to get decent results is to have a PC connected to your projector. For what you want it to do even a very cheap one would be adequate. Or you could buy some sort of media box to wirelessly stream from your main PC.
So do you mean I wouldnt be able to use the DVD progs I use anymore? How will I get those wonderful professional fades, wipes, music timed etc etc without them?

Jammyb

Novice Member
I don't know, it all sounds like an 80's wedding video to me :p

There are loads of slideshow type programs that will play from your PC. But I can't say I've ever tried one of them. There's loads of free trials though
http://www.digitalphotoslideshow.com/
first one I came across.

sandstheman

Murray said:
So do you mean I wouldnt be able to use the DVD progs I use anymore? How will I get those wonderful professional fades, wipes, music timed etc etc without them?
You can use Adobe Premiere to create the slideshows if you wish and output the result as a high def video, but again the only way to play it would be with a direct connection from PC, if you were to burn it to DVD the res would be downgraded again

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Latest News

Has Amazon Prime Video dropped Dolby Atmos?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh and Sonus faber unite under Fine Sounds Distribution in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches 4349 Studio Monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display next generation OLEDs showcased at SID 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 2nd August 2020