1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Camera and Software: UNLIMITED BUDGET

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by testingtimes, Oct 27, 2005.

1. testingtimes

testingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi'yall,

I was recently asking people on this forum for advice on what private camcorder to buy (I chose the Sony DCR HC22 - and am very happy with it thanks for asking, would recommend if anyone is interested) - I've yet to upgrade my computer so as yet haven't done any editing or DVD burning. Anyway, this isn't important - my question relates to...

At work, I've been fortunate enough to be given essentially a free reign on video production for marketing purposes (I deal with the website, so we're talking about staff interviews to camera for the web, tours around offices, departments, and production of DVD/CDROMS to be mass produced and sent out in their 1000's to customers)

This is a very exciting time, I'm sure you'll agree, but apart from my Sony DCR HC22, I've not got a hella'lot of experience, but undeterred, I thought I'd try this site again for advice.

What camera would you buy, I don't want to take the **** too much, if less than £1000 It'd be good - or if you'd spend more than that, can you justify it? – other than “it's better” etc.

What editing software would you use, I'd want to produce in-movie graphics, plus be able to create DVD menus etc? – a programme that's available for both PC and Mac

Is there a consideration for sound recording, do I need booms, mixing desks hand helds, or are microphones on top range cameras these days adequate?

Your help would be much appreciated.

TT

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    First thing I'd think about is:

1. Do you want to record in true widescreen (16:9) or 4:3 or have the option to do both. If you want true anamorphic widescreen look at models from Sony, Canon and JVC.

2. If you are going to use lighting equipement for recording indoors then 3CCD models from Panasonic maybe prefereable. However if your recordings will use ambient light then you maybe better with a single CCD camcorder as these give better low light performance (in most cases).

3. Editing software is either MAC or PC. You can't buy a version and get both computer platforms without buying a copy for each platform, if they exist on both platforms.

Enty level software from Pinnacle Studio 10, Ulead Studio 9 will do what you want and you should be able to capture and edit in a few hours. If you want to be more creative and have the money to spend then consider Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Pinnacle Liquid 6. The latter software apps have a much steeper learning curve and will takes serveral weeks to master if you have never used them before.

4. With regards to sound recording, mics and booms...it depends upon your level of sophitication and what you are trying to achieve. My advice would be use the camcorder and a normal mic to recorder any voice overs and see how you go. If you are recording interviews then you may well need separate mics for interviewer and interviewee and a sound mixer but experiment first and see how you go.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best thing wouldbe to spend money on a course, be it a nightschool at a local college, or an intensive course at a local video workshop, all the money on kit is not goign to mean anything unless you have some aptitude forusing it propoerly (no offence but if your used to using a domestic sony then yo could do with a helping hand)

A domestic camcorder is like a black & decker drill, it'll let you do a basic job, but it wont make you a joiner.

4. testingtimes

testingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay understood.

I'm already booking myself onto local courses for video production and editing, although it's important to do these things in tandem. I want to have equipment to use before, during and immediately after the course itself. Without confirmation of what's been taught I won't be taking full advantage of the tuition.

Thanks for the video editing software suggestions.

Does anyone know of actual makes of camera to recommend which incorporates features mentioned above?

Cheers