What Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by jeremysp, Sep 18, 2007.

1. jeremysp

jeremysp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to purchase a Hi def camcorder and have been looking for reviews on the internet and so far it comes down to the Sony HDR-HC7 or the Canon HV20 or the JVC Everio GZ-HD7. Each of them have their pros. and cons. and thats my dialema. The one thing I do want is as much manual as possible.

I also want to know whether they can be used with Adobe Premiere Elements 3 as I have heard that the JVC HD7 has problems with certain editing packages?

Can anyone offer any help in making my mind up as to which one to buy?

Many thanks

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    In case you haven't seen it; this compares the three
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/conten...asonic-HDC-SD1-JVC-GZ-HD7/Manual-Controls.htm

The HV20 and the HC7, being HDV camcorders, can be edited in Elements 3 and every major editor. The HD7 format is unique to JVC, and whilst it is MPEG2 there can be issues of editing support; not sure if Elements 3 handles it or not. HD7 has issues with image stabilisation. Unless you must have HDD I would put this 3rd on your list.

HV20 and HC7, all considered, are close. Generally the HV20 gets a slight edge, especially when shooting in it's progressive mode, but the differences are very small. If manual control is important to you I suggest you try both out in a shop and get a feel for how easy it is to use the manual features which are important to you. For instance try out the cam control dial on the HC7 (which the CCI review above doesn't like), see how you find it.

3. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi, I pondered over the same dilemma for some time... as you can see from my many thoughts and ramblings recently: a post of mine thinking about the HC7 vs HV20; "Great HD shoot-out"; another HV20 vs HC7 thread; thread when the HD7 was first announced... and now my wafflings about my final choice.

In a nutshell the JVC HD7 promises so much on paper. I've not seen one so I cannot fairly criticise, but from other people's comments and short clips / screengrabs I've seen online, the actual resolution / sharpness, colours, and OIS are all reportedly somewhat disappointing - especially when it costs rather more than the others. And on the Canon HV20 vs Sony HC7, while my heart leaned slightly towards the HV20, my head eventually knew it had to be the HC7 for me. I need something I consider a solid reliable "workhorse" camera for daily use with predictable (not necessarily the same thing as best!) focus, exposure and WB, and good sound. And just starting to use the HC7 now, it's a real pleasure to use - touchscreen Spot Focus, spot exposure metering, and the customisable "P" Menu are all a bit of genius to me!

4. felix2

felix2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Mark beat me to it while the postman was handing over my LANC controller I'd ordered from USA off ebay last week! :)

I'd just add, I'm not actually sure how much I'd use the cam control dial now. I think for focus, the touchscreen has won me over (even using the +/- buttons on the screen), and I might just use the control dial occasionally for putting the exposure up or down a tad.

5. jeremysp

jeremysp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great to know that the HC7 and the HV20 both work with Elements 3. I wasnt aware that the HC7's focus can be altered on the LCD screen as well as the focus wheel as this was reported as one of its weak points. So that's good to know. So it looks to me as its a toss up between these two now.

6. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    But the HV 20 has AV in.. which if you don't need pretty much puts them at par