1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by tommo007, Jun 25, 2004.

1. tommo007

tommo007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi you've probably been asked this many times before..... we are looking for a camcorder around £400 to use for holidays, kids parties etc. Can anyone tell us what spec we should be looking at or if any particular model in this price range stands out. We have read that optical zoom should be as high as possible yet when we've looked approx 90% were 10x so is this as important as we have been led to believe?. We would prefer a camcorder that we can use at night. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    tommo007 :lease:

2. zook69

zook69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are concidering any of the sony "hc" series then make sure that you get a demo first. In particular, put a tape in the machine, press record, and make sure that you can live with the noise the tape unit makes.

I bought a hc40 that has a very bad high pitch whine. It was audible from 15 feet away !! Surprisingly, the noise didnt really come out on the recording too much .. sony must have incorporated some filtering to comabt the problem.

3. El Indio

El Indio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Optical zoom is no indicator to quality of camera. Infact, a high zoom lens is usually inferior (quality) to a lower zoom. It also indicates the use of a smaller CCD (bad) which naturally has a higher optical zoom than a larger CCD with the same lens.

Besides, using a zoom above 10x is almost impossible unless you have a tripod, BTW.

I think the general concensus seems to be that of all the features that are important, good low light performance ranks highest. Most cameras will take a good image outside during the day, but finding one that works well indoors requires research.

El

4. w4yne

w4yne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry I have to disagree on this I have recently bought a Panasonic NVGS11 and it has 24 x optical zoom which I have " field tested @ 24 x " without a tripod and the results are pretty stable and clear unless the subject is a ridiculous distance away, the place I tested my cam was a local lake that has a walk around the perimiter that is supposedly 1.5 miles long and I was almost half way around the walk and easily recognised what seemed to be a blue dot to the naked eye as a blue Ford Fiesta in the car park at the other end on more close up work like ducks in the lake the results were even better in fact there was something moving around in the reeds but we couldn`t make out what it was until returning home and viewing the test tape on TV and then we could clearly see the dorsal fin of a fish breaking the water.

I am no expert but I am very happy that I bought this particular camera and considering it can be found for around £260 + it is a steal at that price.

5. Elad

Elad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too must disagree that anything above x 10 must be on a tripod. I have the Panasonic GS15 (similar to the GS11) - I have used this upto the x 60 digital zoom using the viewfinder and the results have been excellent. Using the 24 x zoom has presented very few problems. IMHO x 10 zoom is poor - you really do need more when outside. Sony HC ranges are noisy machinesbut is sharper and a bit clearer indoors than the pansonic. But you should remember that under indoor lighting cams of this size and price ranges are not great no matter what you buy. So forget the Sony (the LCD screen is terribloe outside as well!) and get a cam with a good zoom. The digital zoom on the Sony is poor as well.