1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What camcorder to get (a list of them please)

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by ScottyB, Jan 21, 2003.

1. ScottyB

ScottyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I am starting to get into films and would like to get a camcorder for an amateur filmmaker. I am saving up around $1000 - $1200 to get one and would like a list of models that may fit me. I am not looking for a personal camcorder per say (unless one will work for what I want to do) but maybe one of those longer amateur/intermediate.

I would like one with the following specs in order of preference:
    Digital
    High optical zoom (digital doesn't matter) that looks good
    Good audio with the ability to put a microphone elsewhere
    Upgradeable (widescreen lens, light, tripod port, etc)
    Usability with a green/blue screen
    Stabilization
    Night Vision
    Firewire

I realize I can't get that all with the money I am saving, but whatever camcorder(s) you think will be best for me please list it (them).

2. shauny1

shauny1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most important is the firewire !!

3. scott69

scott69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp VL-AX1H has a optical zoom of 23x, firewire, 1.3 Mpix.

Canon MX-1 has 20x, firewire, 3ccd 0.3 Mpix.

These two have the highest optical zoom in the price bracket ( I think) check various sites for prices, letsgodigital.co.uk
    hope this is of some help.

4. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Scotty

I bought the sony pc 115 , and it is fantastic, small takes great still pics which are great as I have printed small size. It has a fantastic stabalization system. You can connect it to the computer for editing. You can add a tripod. mic, and has a shoe on the top to add a light, although you dont need it as it has excellent night capability. it also has night shot for some shooting in total darkness although it comes out green. optical zoom is I think x20 and digital 120

you can shoot a scene in 16:9 mode as weel and can add wide angle lens as well.

It is single ccd though but gets 530 lines resolution which is really really good with great colors.

get one on these , also the lens is quite good its a a carl zeiss with special coating that helps give a better picture.

bad points: battery supplied only goes 1 hour with the lcd panel, its not enough. tape loader is underneath where you fit the tripod. battery charger is connected to the camera, but batteries have no memory loss as they are lithium. memory card for stills is only 16 mb which is only good for 36 high quality pics. Also with the small dv camcorders the motor makes a buzzing sound which can be heard while shooting in quiet scenes. But you have to be 1cm away to hear it. It is the same for all compact models some worse than others.

I bought it 1460 usd duty free in dubai. and had to buy extra bag to carry it, extra 128 mb memory card which can take about 140 h/q pics. and extra battery for 4 hour recording with lcd on! Also tapes (dv) should be the sony ones as they have memory function which lets you add tittles to any movies after you have finished shooting!!

Save up a bit more its worth it. But now the new model is the pc 120 which is the same except the blue tooth function (lets you connect to internet and send pics)

the pc 115 if you can get it must be close to your price range

hope this long long message helps you.