1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Camcorder shoud I buy ??

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by donk, Aug 15, 2002.

1. donk

donk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never had a Camcorder before but am looking to buy one now. My budget is approx £500 - £700 and I know I want a digital one.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good machine ?

2. nathan_hill69

nathan_hill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are a few pointers - Hopefully others will contribute their own.

You definately want MiniDV camera

Do you want DV IN and Out (A lot of UK cameras only have DV out meaning you can output your footage from the camera staying in the digital domain but cannot record digital images). It depends wether you plan to edit and re-master back out to the DV camera. My thinking on it is if you can afford it have the facility.

Ignore the HUGE digital zooms quoted (500x) - they suffer bad picture degradation as all it is is the picture being blown up and will amplify any shake of your hand. Concentrate on the Optical magnification - 10x is usually adequate.

Do you want the facility to take stills. Although the resolution cannot compete with dedicated still cameras it can be a nice feature - especially storing them on memory cards which is an option.

Try the camera out to feel how usable the buttons are and how it sits in your hand. A camera I seriosly considered was the Canon 550i (sic?) but it looked cheap and didn't sit in my hand so comfortably.

Use the web to find the best price, they vary dramatically. One suggestion is

www.letsgodigital.co.uk

I've just purchased Panasonic NV-GX7B Mini DV camcorder and am very happy. I work in high end video post production and looking at the picture quality I'm very impressed. This model fits well in the palm, controls are intuitive, has a slightly better resolution than its peers for stills, flash built in for stills, DV In/Out, SD flash cards used for stills etc. etc. etc.

I'm not saying the GX7 is the definitive choice (also check out the GS5), others will have their opinion but it's a starting point.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Panasonic NV-GX7B is my favourite too.
    Sony DCR-PC8 and JVC GR-DVP7 good as well.

4. donk

donk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Thanks for your advise. It's given me a good starting point.
    I would welcome comments from anyone else too.
    I'm also new to using forums but this advise is great.

5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm also looking to buy my first camcorder and have been reccommended -

Panasonic NV-GX7B £700
    Canon MV500i £550
    JVC GR-DVL367EK £500

I want a good quality camera for video and stills with DV in/out for around £500.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    I would not rely on any camcorder for stills and would strongly advise a separate digicam for the job.
    Check out my comparison photos - an obsolete Olympus C2000 superceeded by a £300 camera takes a MILES better photo than my £1000 Sony TRV30.
    http://www.avforums.com/sdw/photos.html

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Olypums looks dark with far to much blue in the picture and the Sony looks a bit washed out maybe something to do with the back light option or even auto exposure, i'd even say the Sony pic looks a little blurred.

The stills below look a little better from it.

Memory Stick Stills from the TRV30E

I know nothing about digicams or camcorders i just thought it interesting. :)

8. Daniel

Daniel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking to buy a DV and so far i have looked at
    Sony DCR-PC120, Sony DCR PC-101 and Panasonic GX7, which
    several people here recommend.
    PC120 is now not an option as the only advantage over PC101
    seems to be Bluetooth which is an unnecessary addition imho.
    Has anybody any views on PC101 ? How does it compare with
    GX7 ?

Apreciate the help

thanks

9. Budgie

Budgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you know that the GX7 is in very short supply?
    There is apparently a manufacturing problem in the factory, and they will not be shipping again until end September.
    Thought you may like to know...... :(

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    Your photos aren't bad at all. My comparison was of the 'point and shoot' abilities of both units - which is how I'd expect they will both most often be used.
    Both were on a tripod to maintain the same position. The Sony is washed out because it can't cope with the low, late afternon sun.
    The colours of the Olympus are more authentic and it does a MUCH better job of capturing a balanced light level.
    Horses for courses. Digicam for stills at the moment. Although I look forward to seeing a camcorder capable of decent stills. Not long to wait, I suspect.

11. PeterH

PeterH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in avery similar position, trying to decide between these two models (DS30 & GS5).

Apart from the size and stills/email features, the basic camcorder features seem to be almost identical. I don't think I would use the stills/mp3 functions as I have a dig camera for that. However, the price difference (200 UKP) tells me that I am probably missing some major difference.

Could anyone please tell me why I should buy the GS5 in preference to the DS30 ?

Any advice very welcome :)

Peter.