what cabling do i require?

benenhausen

Standard Member
hi guys, need your help again. cable advice required.

i have a numark DXM01USB 2 channel audio mixer.
i am about to buy a pair of Tannoy reveal 5a active studio monitors and i want to plug them straight into the mixer for instant sound from the 1210 turntables that are plugged into the mixer.

is this the right cable?
3m Dual Twin 2 RCA Phono 2 XLR Male Plug Lead Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

for info the phono end is for the mixer and xlrs for each speaker.

im not convinced it will work this way - id imagine the two xlrs are going to be quite close together on the cable therefore trying to use them on 2 speakers that could be set approx 10 feet apart isnt going to work???

anyones thoughts appreciated

many thanks

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
i have a numark DXM01USB 2 channel audio mixer.
i am about to buy a pair of Tannoy reveal 5a active studio monitors and i want to plug them straight into the mixer for instant sound from the 1210 turntables that are plugged into the mixer.

is this the right cable?
3m Dual Twin 2 RCA Phono 2 XLR Male Plug Lead Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

for info the phono end is for the mixer and xlrs for each speaker.

im not convinced it will work this way - id imagine the two xlrs are going to be quite close together on the cable therefore trying to use them on 2 speakers that could be set approx 10 feet apart isnt going to work???
The XLR inputs on the Tannoy are for balanced inputs, so you have three choices:
1) if your mixer also offers balanced outputs, use XLR-XLR cabling.
2) if your Tannoy 5a has an unbalanced phono socket next to the XLR socket (more recent models do), use phono-phono cabling.
3) if your mixer only has unbalanced outputs and your Tannoy only has balanced inputs, you will need a cable that ties pins 1 and 3 (but check the Tannoy 5a manual, this information is for a follow-on model).

The information in the link you gave is insufficient to determine if it is suitable for variation 3. It also appears to be designed for linking equipment, not for speakers placed >3m apart. You might be able to rip it apart but a pair of mono cables may be simpler.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom