what cables??

jontreacle

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi i am in the middle of a system build for the first time and alot of what i read is still a bit double dutch.
i have decided on a sony str dh800 amp and q acoustics 1010i 5.1 speakers. the next quest is to find out which is the best cable to use.

i have looked at vandamme blue series and this looks good. i also need to connect the cabling and have seen qed airlock connectors.

now for the help please!!!!!
do i need the connectors on both ends of the cabling?
do i need 2 wires for each speaker (ie red and black)?
is there a better wire to use?

the distances i'll be travelling are 3mx2, 16m and 26 m

thanks in advance jontreacle

hi i am in the middle of a system build for the first time and alot of what i read is still a bit double dutch.
i have decided on a sony str dh800 amp and q acoustics 1010i 5.1 speakers. the next quest is to find out which is the best cable to use.

i have looked at vandamme blue series and this looks good. i also need to connect the cabling and have seen qed airlock connectors.

now for the help please!!!!!
do i need the connectors on both ends of the cabling?
do i need 2 wires for each speaker (ie red and black)?
is there a better wire to use?

the distances i'll be travelling are 3mx2, 16m and 26 m

thanks in advance jontreacle

you don't need connecters on either side if you don't want them, some prefer them(i use them) but bare wire is just as good, the plugs are handy if you disconnect them often

you need 2 wires for each speaker

the van damme stuff is good, i use the 2.5mm stuff for my sides and rear

QED Airloc are probably over-kill especially as they need to be professionally fitted.

If you check the 'Power Buy' section at the top of the forum you'll find vendors there will to quote you for VanDamme cable and if you want connectors they can also quote for supply and fit of those as well.

QED Airloc are probably over-kill especially as they need to be professionally fitted.

If you check the 'Power Buy' section at the top of the forum you'll find vendors there will to quote you for VanDamme cable and if you want connectors they can also quote for supply and fit of those as well.

hi this is probably the daftest question yet, but does the vandamme come as a pair of wires?? ie 2 wires joined together so i can connect both terminls of the speaker

sorry for the naivety!!!!

jontreacle

There are no stupid questions, but some do come close :)

Yes, it comes as a pair of cables, all speaker cable does, unless it is designed for bi-wiring when it comes as a group of 4 cables.

Im still a bit confused!

With regard to QED XT Evo cabling it comes with two wires - am I right in thinking that there is two ends on each side, one side going into the amp, and the other into the speaker. It's just really confusing me... I think I have to buy x4 of QED Silver Anniversary XT Evolution Speaker Cable all at 2M each - this is because the distance between my speakers will be around 4M total and the amp will be in the middle.

Feel quite idiotic for asking this but it is really confusing me.

Each speaker requires a 'positive' and 'negative' connection typically denoted by red and black connectors (but not always).

You will find that the amp will have two connections for each individual speaker (except the sub) and so you connect the red (positive) amp terminal to the red (positive) speaker terminal and similarly the black ones for each speaker.

So a typical 5.1 system will have 5 speaker cables each comprised of two cores and one sub cable, usually a coax cable.

Hope that is clearer.

Each speaker requires a 'positive' and 'negative' connection typically denoted by red and black connectors (but not always).

You will find that the amp will have two connections for each individual speaker (except the sub) and so you connect the red (positive) amp terminal to the red (positive) speaker terminal and similarly the black ones for each speaker.

So a typical 5.1 system will have 5 speaker cables each comprised of two cores and one sub cable, usually a coax cable.

Hope that is clearer.

Hi,

Thanks for the response, that is clearer.

In terms of the QED Silver Anniversary cable, quantity would be x2 needed to connect each speaker to the amp individually?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom