1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What cables would you lay ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gvh, Aug 1, 2003.

1. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm about to move house in a month and we are having it recarpeted. It occurred to me to wonder what cabling to put in at the same time.

I do fancy being able to hear music throughout the house or slowly aiming towards multiroom. But on the cheap. If you had one chance to lay cable down what would it be ?

1) Already going to get adsl/wireless networking as I have a work laptop. But thought it might be worth running cat5 from each room to the cupboard under the stairs. I think the next big thing is streaming audio from hard disk systems to each room on demand. (I did dabble with building my own music server, but gave up when I realised the cost of a really decent sound card.)

2) I have an ok home cinema in living room and a 2nd hifi in bedroom. Maybe one day it would be nice to do some multiroomness. Perhaps lay digital audio cable (coax or optical) via the cupd under the stairs to the bedroom. Whats worth doing ? What is more flexible / futureproof?

3) Stick speaker cable under living room carpet for rear speakers. (I know, go round edge rather than straight under middle of floor, read that good advice already)

4) Advice on cable laying through doors etc. welcome. Any links to pages greatfully received. Its a 50's house and I think its floorboards throughout.

So, what would you do thats future proof ?

cheers

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Most multiroom systems are based around structured cabling which involves cables similar to, if not, Cat 5. Best to give yourself one extra run to each room for control, data, phones etc.

What sort of multiroom are you thinking of having? Will it all be based around the PC's?

3. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ah, thats interesting.

I have no fixed plans, mainly due to lack of funds :) but was thinking about what will be the best bet. Its clear this area is converging fast. An Imerge server looks wonderful and the prices can only fall.

4. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been gradually decorating the house and as a matter of course planning for multiroom capabilities. In each room I have put 4 runs of cat5 for phone; computer; sound + vision; spare all to the cupboard. Given the relative cheap cable price you can't have enough. check out http://www.Kat5.tv/ for cabling ideas also try http://www.intelix.com/.

I have the imerge soundserver SS1080 and its great, so easy to select which cd / playlists especially through pronto remote.

Just feeding the sound to the study over the amps second speaker outs at the moment. Thinking of denon 3803 to run multi room (+ component switching) anyone other suggestions?

5. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if its got proper floor boards on the ground floor and not large chipboard sheets or concrete then its a piece of yellow liquid,you may find theres enough room underneath to crawl around.
    if not depending on the direction of the boards you can either lift a board at either end of the room and " fish" the wire through,a length of mini trunkings ideal for this,or lift a board the length of the room and drill through the joists (spade bits are ideal for this) for the cable (50mm minimum from the top of the joist and in the middle,look out for pipes cables ect).for getting under walls,theres nearly always a gap somewere below that you can thread a cable through.

6. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3) Stick speaker cable under living room carpet for rear speakers. (I know, go round edge rather than straight under middle of floor, read that good advice already)

[/B][/QUOTE]

Is there a reason why you can't lay speaker cable under the floor boards? I already do this and when I move I was going to feed mine underneath the floor boards for my rear speakers it would cost me a fortune if I had to buy enough to feed it round the skirting.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you run Cat 5 from the cupboard to each room you can put multiroom system in. Most run on cat 5 and another cable....
    http://www.qed.co.uk/multiroom/musiq_spec.html

But new products soon on the market will allow full multiroom from cat 5 only so run cat 5 to 2 ceiling point for speakers. A wall point for control (from ceiling) and a run from ceiling "hub point" to cupboard and a 4 room system will cost £2500 ish (sketchy price is best i can do) but you can add a room at a time after initial controller purchase

8. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Flip me !

I can dream. Thanks for that though.

Talking to carpet shops they talk about carpeting the place the morning we get the keys, ie before we move in which is such a nice thought I might even sacrifice the opportunity to get in there first. We shall see what happens. Nothing is certain the house buying game...