What cables & where to get them?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by GrandmasterD, Sep 18, 2007.

1. GrandmasterD

GrandmasterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi there,

Just ordered a Samsung PS42Q97HD. I will be using the TV mainly for:

Sky+
    Xbox 360
    PC Input

My questions are as follows:

Do I need a new scart cable for the Sky+ box? If so which one? Would a RGB scart help in any way as these are verrrry expensive and would only want to get one if they worked great.

360 will be going through component. No other cables needed correct?

PC Input, will this be ok via VGA input? PC is 5m away and a 5m HDMI cable costs £45 and the 5m VGA costs around £15... would much prefer to use vga.

For sound I will be using the TV speakers at night (less bass) and my crappy 5.1 system during the day.

With the 5.1 system it only has scart in's at the back and 3x phono on the front. ATM I have Sky+ go into the 5.1 box and then from there into the TV, when my new TV arrives this will not be possible as the PQ will decrease.

My plan here was to use the audio out on the TV, get a new phono cable that will go from back of TV to 5.1 box, get a scart adaptor and put the sound into the 5.1 like that... will that work or is there a better way? (Maybe 3xphono to scart cable?)

For PC sound I will buy a 5m 3.mm to phono cable to plug into the front a/v.

Are there any more cables I should be looking for or changing any of the above?

Where is the best place to get them from?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want my set-up to be the best it can be... for as cheap as it can be:thumbsup:

Cheers in advance, GMD.

P.S, How much are ok-ish 5.1 system ATM? the model one I have is a Sanyo JCX-TS3000 :rolleyes:

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    Sky's RGB is a good picture and worth spending on a "decent" scart. Ixos, QED, Thor are widely used by members and well respected.

"RGB" only cables do not carry sound. So if you want to have your TV on at night with Sky you will need a "fully wired" scart lead. "Fully wired" carries RGB and sound. IMO spending around £20-£25 would be a good investment. Look in the classifieds sections as many people are using HD more and more and "SD" equipment becoming relegated to the loft and so Scart leads (SD material only) are commonplace in the classifieds section. Why not place a wanted add as well if you're looking to keep your costs to a minimum?

3. GrandmasterD

GrandmasterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi,

Cheers for replying!

I have read around a lot and decided to buy the following:

3.5mm Jack to Phono 5Meter for PC Audio
    VGA to VGA 5Meter for PC Video Input
    Phono to Phono 2Meter for TV to 5.1 for sound
    Scart adapter to allow for above to connect to 5.1 via scart

Not really expensive or anything but should do me:smashin:

I did not buy a scart because I asked a mate and he said basiclly the same as you, RGB only carries video no sound etc and a bit overpriced.

I have found the scart I am using is more than ok but I may look into finding a second hand decent scart.

Very impressed with everything really, TV is way more than I expected for less than £700, I think with the cables the whole thing will have cost just over £700 so not bad really:thumbsup:

All I need to do now is tidy UP the cables:D

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    Remember Scart only carries stereo sound. "Scart adapter to allow for above to connect to 5.1 via scart" will ony be stereo AND provided your unit can playback audio supplied via the Scart. I've no doubt the Sanyo can play audio out of the Scart, but I don't know if it can accept via Scart. Noramlly you'd expect "Phono" type connections to get stereo sound into a unit: hence perhaps your "Phono to Phono 2Meter for TV to 5.1 for sound". But again, it's only stereo (or Dolby PRologic). If your Sanyo has Dolby ProLogicII or IIx then it can provide a pseudo 5.1. Sky+ and Sky HD have Dolby Digital 5.1 sound on some of their broadcasts (moveis) and is delivered over an optical cable.

I think you will be limited with what you can do with the Sanyo TBH. And to answer your last question in the first post, personally I wouldn't touch a budget all in one player. But much depends on budget and expectations I suppose!

5. GrandmasterD

GrandmasterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Cheers, you have helped me understand there!

The Sanyo thing only has a scart input at the back and composite at the front. It only excepts stereo and has Q surrond written on it:confused:

It will do for the time being as I can just use the phono from the TV so everything that comes into the TV will have the option of going through the Sanyo thing.

I was given it so I couldn't really say no but I think that this be my next upgrade:smashin:

Any thoughts on how much I should be looking at and what model or could you point me in the right direction of the correct forum to post in.

Cheers again!:thumbsup:

6. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394

Had a quick read of what you've said. I reckon you could put a half decent Receiver and 5.1 speakers including sub for around £400-500 have a good look at the classified ads on here as people are upgrading all the time and selling of perfectly good stuff at a good price. You really ideally need to be connecting your gear up via optical connections at the least to make the most of it.