1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What cables to connect to my SP4805?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ciarancummins, Mar 16, 2005.

1. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I plan to wire my new house (still being built) for a ceiling mounted SP4805.
    Question is, what cables do I run? From my research on this site, quality cables matter, and type too. I'm on a budget so I can't buy the best of the best (Mark Grant DIY ones)...or should I? I plan to run trunking in the ceiling, and it would be possible to replace/add in future....

My shopping list so far is (figure I might as well run all types up while I can):

7.5m DVI-D Dual Link Digital Cable (Lindy - £25, don't have any DVI or HDMI yet)
    10m component to component (Profigold PGV339 - £43 - tvcables.co.uk)
    10m composite (Profigold PGV6039 - £20 - tvcables.co.uk)
    10m s-video (cheap)
    5m 3.5mm phono to phono for 12v screen trigger (cheap)

Any recommendations/changes?

I plan to also purchase a Denon 1705 or Yamaha RX-V450 amp.
    Have not decided on speakers yet...

Advice appreciated, as I plan to do this V soon.
    Regards,

Ciaran

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    All looks pretty good to me. The only issue I've had with my 4805 is that my Sky box and my TV only have RGB scart out and of course the 4805 doesn't have scart so that just leaves composite which is really naff. Alternatively, I am looking into buying either a scart to S-Video lead or a scart to component.
    You may wish to consider this issue if your sources offer similar outputs.

3. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 4805 with Sky Digital and also recently just purchased the Panasonic DMRE85 HDD/DVD Recorder and the Marantz SR7500 Receiver.

I have the RGB output from Sky going into the AV2 input of the Panasonic recorder and the Component Output from the Panasonic going into my SR7500 amp. The Component Monitor out from the amp is then routed to the 4805 and the pictures are really good.

Thus I was able to bypass the need for a RGB to Component converter :)

4. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, Sky+ will probably be on the cards, and I think that has a s-video connector, which is supposed to work OK.

Is it possible to to cconnect 2 composites, via dual splitter? I plan to run one upstairs to my noisy super-duper fast PC for playing games?

Which supplier would you recommend for the cables and hardware?

I have read that a couple of people see the "rainbow" effect with the 4805, I though it had the new DLP chip that stopped it from happening?

Cheers,
    Ciaran

5. greatsnot

greatsnot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI

I have an IBMILV300 (X1 Clone) ceiling mounted projecting onto a Beamax 96" wide 16:9 screen

My entire system is connected to the PJ vai a AV source selector 6 in 1 out ( 4 SVHS, 2 Scart ) outputs in SVHS and composite (Bought from Maplins model L63AB about £40) ,Sky + connected into selector via SVHS ,DVD connected into selector via SVHS,Freeview box connected via Scart to SVHS convertor then into selector (need scart convertor as scart input into selector will only output composite),all output via single SVHS cable to projector , easy set up and great results, selector is internally amplified so no signal degredation and IR remote so easy to switch between sources.

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    It's not the DMD chip which determines the presence of rainbows on DLP but rather the colour wheel's amount of segments and speed at which it turns. The 4805 has a 6 segment and 4x speed which greatly reduces the presence of rainbows but doesn't completely remove them. Only the 3 chip DLP projectors completely removes the chance of rainbows as they have no colour wheel at all. The higher priced single chip DLPs have 8 segment and 6x colour wheels and the cheapest ones have 4 segment 2x colour wheels. I have a 4805 and generally never see rainbows and on the very rare occasions that I do, they are never bad enough to ruin my enjoyment.

7. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I had sparklies and some solarisation on a 7.5m Lindy premium DVI cable that disappeared once I upgraded to a 9m Bettercables one. I'd do a test (borrow a player) with the Lindy before committing to putting the cable in-wall.

8. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will look for that bettercables one, and check out the Maplin switch box. Where do you get the bettercables one from? Possibly only plan to use DVI for PC display, rarely so might not be a problem?

Ciaran

9. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It would probably be best through component connection, thats how I have mine set up or alternativly HDMI if your DVD player has it. :) On the subject of the 4805,I agree whole heartedly with Oakleyspatz I have a 4805 and rarely see rainbows and on the occasions that I do, they never ruin my enjoyment. :thumbsup:

10. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, going for component. Now just waiting for house to be ready, and watching price of 4805 fall in the meantime...

Ciaran