What cables should i run?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by 10crazyfists, Feb 1, 2014.

1. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Looking for some advice.

Going to renovate my 1950s semi detached and would like to get some form of order to distribute tv around the house. Not struck on plans where everything will go yet so would like to make it flexible now and figure out where everything will go whilst in the process.

I will install a node 0 cabling cat 6 back to a patch panel, this is in process now and will have 4 points to each room. But should I run RG6 along with it? Don't plan on watching Freeview but I've heard it can also be used for duties such as IR?

Any thoughts please appreciated so I could get some ideas.

2. sonice1

sonice1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would, for the price of cable I think it's silly not to.

We allways run cat5/6 and coax to tv points.

3. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yep just ordered 100m of it to install. Can anyone tell me if you can run RF with it? I am thinking the new Logitech remote can be set on devices via wifi/Ethernet is that correct? I would have to have IR transmitters everywhere.

Everything will go back to the understairs cupboard. Just have to get an electrician in to run power and virgin media are coming later this month to move the broadband modem point there so all the devices can access internet.

Im just stuck on what I should run at this time in all honesty. I want to power speakers in the downstairs so speaker cable has to go in also. I think for the upstairs a sonos connect amp should power the bedroom and bathroom.

In a months time I should have a fully operational network... Hopefully.

I have a htpc with xbmc as my media frontend this will be on 24/7 and act as a nas also with 4x2tb WD red drives.

What is the best way to get the hdmi signal to anywhere I want? I have seen the matrix units but they cost $400 plus.

I am also worried that over cat6 I will lose audio when trying to send DTS MA etc.

Any advice?