What cables? Need to get it right first time!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by instech, Sep 19, 2007.

1. instech

instech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only got about 3 weeks until the joiner will be ready to fit the plaster board to my new extension, and I need to get the cables run in!

Still to buy the kit, but I plan on hanging plasma on centre of wall and the AV kit will be placed on the adjacent wall, approx 5.5 metres of cable run away.
    Do I need to run a cable (HDMI I think?) from the Amp to the TV, as well as a cable from dvd player to TV? What type of cable would this be?

If HDMI is not suitable what else is there as an option?

I'm not too bothered how the separates all connect as they will be sitting together, its just the TV cables I need to get right just now.

Thanks for any help

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Without knowing the kit, I'm afraid no-one will be able to answer your question. If your amp can switch HDMI and upconvert the signal from component video etc. to HDMI you could connect everything to the amp and then just one cable from the amp to the TV (HDMI) but if you want to get sound from the TV through the amp, you will need to connect the TV's audio output to the amp as well, which is usually an optical cable or a pair of analogue phono (RCA) cables (red-white audio). It might be worth running some Cat6 cables for future use as you never know what's around the corner and as they're cheap they can be used to pull any other cables through!

What amp/TV/DVD player do you have? What connections do they have? Do you have any other kit?

3. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    As DavePuma said if we know what the amp and tv your setting up we can advise better on what to do. Whatever you do though make sure you get all your cables into the back of the tv if possible before mounting it on the wall. Even with the tilt function on your wall mount it's a real pain trying to get cables into the back of the TV once it's up there.

4. instech

instech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't actually got round to buying the gear yet, just need the cables in, but I do have a good idea of what I want.

TV - Pioneer PDP 427
    Amp - Onkyo 605
    DVD - Unsure, maybe Samsung dvd 1080.

Any comments would be really appreciated.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Assuming you do go for the 605, which I would say is a minimum spec for a new AV receiver, you can get away with a single HDMI cable from the AV receiver to the TV for the video.

Obviously you will need to connect the TV to the AV Receiver to get audio for TV viewing (which will be 2.0 channel stereo mixed to give you DPL(2)). What cable you need is dependent on the TV but I believe the Pioneers all have optical connections. If your prospective TV doesn't have optical, it will have analogue phonos. Look for profigold as they are cheap-ish, good quality, well built cables that would be ideal for TV sound. For the optical cable, pretty much any will do but I've found even cheap cables on amazon costing £3 for a metre cable are a good enough fit. I also have QED, Black Rhodum (at least I think I still have it) in my system as well but they cost a lot more and are probably not worth the extra outlay TBH!

Some people also state that you should run Cat data cables for future use and also as they're cheap, you can also use them to pull cables through should you need to later on. Have a look at this recent thread which may of use to you and explain it a bit better.

Make sure you test everything before the final installation and chasing in the wall. If the run is more than 5m, then I would invest in a better quality HDMI cable (look for 1.3a spec/1080p) from the likes of Bettercables, MarkGrant and bluejeanscables.co.uk. You can get the Bettercables from the powerbuy above and I believe a special offer might be coming soon. There was a recent thread about cheap 10m HDMI cables and people have obviously had some success with cheap cables. That cannot be guaranteed, which is why I prefer to pay for decent quality branded stuff for long lengths. The last thing you need is a cable failing in the wall....

6. instech

instech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I intend to purchase the Humax 9200, freeview box with hard drive. If I connect it to the av receiver would that save me from having to install audio cables from the TV back to the receiver?

This leads to my next question!!

If I am watching freeview via the Humax, do I need to have the av receiver on to allow the signal through to the TV (like dvd players do)? or do I need to install a cable direct to TV from humax?

Apologies if you are now as confused as I am.

7. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    You would have to connect it directly via SCART as the amp won't switch etc unless it's on. The amp will transmit one video signal to the TV so it will always be on the same input. If you want to bypass the amp, then as I said, you will have to connect directly. If you did intend running the Humax to the TV via the amp, you would need to connect the RGB SCART signal to component using a converter box e.g. JS Tech or QED. Another option would be a DVD recorder with built in digital freeview tuner and Hard Disk as they will output component and the newer ones output in HDMI.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    much better off with a toppy for PVR (component video output) i would run 2 HDMI, 1 Scart, 1 component, 1 coax, 1cat5, and audio L+R as minmum and dont forget power.........................