1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What cables do I bury?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cainej, Jul 11, 2005.

1. cainej

cainej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to bury some cables into a new home (just before first fixing). I am building a home cinema with Plamsa and surround sound.

In order to future proof, what cable do you suggest I bury. The plasma will be 10m away from the A/V kit.

So far I have laid the speaker cables out. And where the plasma will go I have:
    - power
    - aerial
    - component video (running back to kit)
    - a 10m bespoke Pioneer cable (running back to kit)

I am getting a Pioneer 435XDE - hence the proprietary cable needed to go between media receiver and screen.

I want to lay cables that future proofs the room for non-Pioneer screens.

So far I think this might be:
    - a HDMI cable

I understand that a HDMI or component cable feed the video TO the screen. If a screen has an inbuilt tuner and connects to the aerial socket you can watch TV whilst recording on another channel. (Way back where the kit is there is also another aerial lead to go into the Video/HDD etc).

So do I need a SCART lead from the screen all the way back to the kit? presumably you need to feed the audio back to the A/V kit?

Any thing else I could do?

Many thanks

2. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'd throw down a length (or two) of Cat 5 network cable with RJ45 plugs at both ends,
    in case you ever decide to connect a HTPC, Laptop or networkable games console. I'd allow a few feet of slack at each end too.

I know all these can be done wirelessly anyway, but for the sake of a few quid it must be worth the peace of mind.

H.

3. banditash

banditash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you stick with pioneer then i don't think you will need any thing else but if you change say to a panasonic pave500 then you want 1 HDMI cable 2 sets of phono leads 1 for inn 1 for out 3 scarts leads and 1 d-sub for a computer as computer on a plasma looks the Biz

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Actually 1 half of the pioneer cable is DVI, which can be made HDMI with a little adapter. Like the man said, there's not much you can't do with some twisted pairs, put it in there. Then you can use them as s-video, or even VGA in the future. Picture in picture on a Panasonic panel for instance. I'd guess here you'd never swap for a PV500, no point in changing for one of those. If it was on your agenda, you'd be heading for a nightmare, so don't even think about it!