What cables/ connectors should I install when mounting tv on a brick chimney breast?

Elliott London

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

Its been a very long time sinve iv been on here, so apologies if ive not posted this correctly or if this has been asked previously (i did do a search but couldnt find my exact answer).

So, my living room is currently being renovated and i now plan to mount my tv on a solid brick chimney (chimney is being plastered over, so not bothered about the mess or scale of the work needed to avhieve the result).

I basically need to know, what wiring/ connectors do i need to bury into the wall in order for me to hang my tv without any visible wires dangling etc. i plan on having my sky box hidden in a cupboard in the alcove next to the chimney breast.

I understand that I will need a plug socket behind the TV for power and a HDMI facia plate behind the TV in order to connect my sky box to my tv, but is there anything else I am missing? I also want to future proof the setup just incase i want to add something in the future.

All seems a little bit simple but I don’t want to miss something obvious.

On a side note, how do the hdmi facia plates work? Are they essentially just a hdmi extension lead? I imagine i should bury a few hdmi leads into the wall, just incase one fails etc.

Also, how are sound bars connected to the tv, is it via hdmi? How does one mount one of those without wires?

Apologies if ive asked too much.

Many thanks in advance,

Elliott, UK

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Better to use conduit then bury cables, just in case you need to upgrade those cables. Which unfortunately most users moving from 1080 to [email protected] need to do.

Avoid faceplates for HDMI as breaks in HDMI cable can add the the equivalent of several metres in length and end up with signal loss. Used a brushed outlet instead and one cable end to end.

Elliott London

Novice Member
Excellent, that makes sense! So essentislly your suggesting i create a cavity in the wall with trunking and use a single hdmi cable going from my tv to my sky box? Is there any other wiring i need to consider apart from the obvious power? Im not going for anything elaborate, just looking to put the tv on the chimney breast.

Thanks very much for your advice!

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Aerial/Satellite cable also? I'd also put in Ethernet cable, you might want to fit a kodi box media player. Plus speaker cable for center speaker

Elliott London

Novice Member
Excellent, that makes sense! So essentislly your suggesting i create a cavity in the wall with trunking and use a single hdmi cable going from my tv to my sky box? Is there any other wiring i need to consider apart from the obvious power? Im not going for anything elaborate, just looking to put the tv on the chimney breast.

Thanks very much for your advice
Aerial/Satellite cable also? I'd also put in Ethernet cable, you might want to fit a kodi box media player. Plus speaker cable for center speaker
Many thanks for your reply. The sky cable is already in place in the alcove, where my sky box is situated.

Re centre speaker you mention, are you referring to a soundbar? If so i am considering installing one but want to check out where the wires protrude from as i dont want wires on display. Iv seen pictures online of soundbars which appear to float without any wires but cant understsnd how (unless the power cable feeds directly into the wall behind and into a power supply somwhere. I dont know how feasable this would be with my intended setup.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Depends if you want

Active soundbar (so need power cable, may be various figure 8, IEC, mickey mouse type or fixed) plus hdmi from racking to soundbar
Passive soundbar (speaker cables, could be up to three pair)
Center speaker speaker cable one pair

Get proper home system rather than soundbar IMO

The problem with a "neat" cable install is if you want to remove it, it may be permenant. Mine might look bit ugly with exposed cables on atmos heights, going up wall, around ceiling edge, but I can change them anytime with very little disruption. To fit trunking all round room, RCA cables, XLR, HDMI, Optical, Coaxial, etc etc etc then speaker cable x13, which may move or change...or even worse plastered into wall...massive task

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom