1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Cable?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jayacee, Jan 23, 2003.

1. jayacee

jayacee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered a Sony 1080 Rec and a set of Mordaunt Short Premieres and adding to this is a Sony DVP-735 DVD player. I have now got to choose which speaker cable I am going to use. After reading posts on cables and reviews I have become somewhat confused as to what grade of cable I should be opting for. After pricing up QED silver Anniversary, I am trying to justify spending £110 compared to Qed white at £55. Is the difference going to be that noticeable? As a newcomer to Home Cinema I have yet to acquire the experience of many posters on this forum, so am looking for peoples opinions with regard to this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

2. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

I would recommend trying the cables before buying, most good HiFi dealers will lend you cables to try at home.

3. hutchingsp

hutchingsp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently been in a similar position, rather than repeat it all I'd suggest a quick look at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63154

I decided to stick in the "cheap but technically good quality" camp, if and when I decide to replace the 20m of cable I've just brought I'll "only" have lost £20.

regards
    Paul

4. gimli

gimli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It isn't necessary to use the same cable all round and could possibly be much cheaper to use Silver Anniversary at the front with something much cheaper for the rears.

Ixos do a reasonable budget cable that is flat so is ideal for putting under carpets.

5. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with Gimli

I use QED Silver Anniversary for the front and QED Micro (£1:50/mtr) for the rears very discrete as well.

7ThGuest