Question What cable?

Evostance

I've got carpet going down in my lounge in a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd start looking to lay some speaker cable.

Can anyone suggest what cable I should lay? I could do with it being modular as I dont want cable coiled in the corners whilst we dont have any speakers there.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Speaker layout - neither Stereo audio or Surround Sound use a corner placement for Loudspeakers.

Speaker cables are best kept to the room perimeter and not across areas where you walk.

Speaker cables run under a carpet can be laid in a gap formed by using two parallel runs of gripper rod.

Speaker cables can be terminated in an inline 4mm Banana Socket - you then add a 4mm Banana Plug to the short extension you plug in to reach your loudspeakers.

Joe

Evostance

Thanks Joe,

Is there any type of cable you recommend? I've heard that the cable I get depends on the speakers I get - is this correct?

As for the layout, the lounge is a bit of a funny shape. The below isn't to scale, but gives you an idea of the awkwardness.
I can't change the location of the TV or the sofas unfortunately. Where would you suggest placement of the speakers?

A1zD9vy.png

Also, while I'm at it. We're looking for a Blu-Ray player. Any you would recommend that could double up as the amp for a surround sound system as a later purchase?

So to summarise, 3 questions:

1) What type of speaker cable would you recommend, and can any cable work with any speaker?
2) What position would you place the speakers for 5.1?
3) Can you suggest a Blu-Ray player that would also double up as an amp for a later surround sound purchase?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Speaker cable - you match the gauge (cross section of the conductors) to the power you are delivering from your amp, after that you get into all sorts of mumbo jumbo about different types of metal, twists of wire, fancy 'coatings' having an audio 'signature'.

Layout - you are not going to achieve a decent surround sound layout with your seating/TV positioning, whatever you do has to be seriously compromised.

Layout - I would stick with a 2.0 or 2.1 system if the TV has to stay where you indicate.

BD Player/Amp - the drawback of a budget combined unit is usually the lack of connectivity for additional sources and they do not make a good 'base' for upgrades.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom