1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What cable to run to a Plasma/LCD?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ciarancummins, Apr 4, 2005.

1. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am pre-wiring my new house for a wall mounted plasma/lcd TV, trouble is I don't know which one I will get. I have chased the walls from theReciever location to the planned wall position of the TV. I have also run cables to a planned ceiling mounted projector. I will be connecting a DVD, Sky+, VCR, PS2/Xbox to the receiver (plan on Yamaha RX-V650).

The component output of the amp is going to the projector, this means any s-video, composite, or component sources can be displayed through this component output, right? I will have the projector from the start.

Because I don't know what inputs the TV will have, I plan on running a DVI-D cable to it, which can be converted to HDMI I think? Should I run an s-video and composite to it also? Or what else should I plan to connect?? Component? Do newer TV's have special wires specific to them, do I need to install conduit with twine ready to pull a new cable?

I would like to avoid any future work by getting it right now.

Thanks and regards,
    Ciaran

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you could up your amp budget a smidgen, to the 750 or an Onkyo 602, you have an amp then that upconverts to component vid. The onkyo has 3 component inputs too, and is pretty much the same cost. the yam 750 is amp only, no radio. Then you can run just component and DVI or HDMI to both devices. Adapters can cope if you run one type of cable and the device has the other socket. Make sure you don't then buy a media box plasma, or you will be up s***t creek! If you plan on a Pio XDE or similar, get the cable installed now, it's proprietary.

3. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the 650 allows you to display a composite or s-video using the component out also? I think the adapter route might be worth considering. Hopefully the DVI-D connector (with/witout HDMI adapters) will be the only connection needed for displaying SKY HD TV, and the component for any other video input from sources through amp

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I loked up the spec to check this, it upconverts TO s-video, not to component.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i reconmend running, DVI-I cables, at least one and running 5 coax video cores, cinemax CX5CV is ideal (can be used for RGBHV or Component and S-video, thorw a scart into the wall too

6. ciarancummins

ciarancummins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the heads up on the Yam 650, might have to consider 750...

I am also installing a PJ for DVD, and pc/console which I have sorted the wiring out for. So I really only need to be able to display sky. For the moment would s-video be ok? And since I am running a DVI cable, that should cover any HDTV req's later... Why do you suggest DVI-I and not DVI-D, or did you mean to make that specific suggestion? unfortunately my budget does not allow for the cinemax CX5CV. I thought scart quality was crap ovedr distances more that 3-5m, especially if you don't buy £££ cables?

Cheers for the advice, further comments appreciated.

So at the moment I am going for DVI-D and profigold 10m component and plan to get the Yam 750.

Also considering running big fat trunking for future cable pulls.... should really, but don't want to...lazy bugger.

Ciaran

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Scart, Horny!!! I find one of the component wires can double as composite if needed during setup, very unlikely with an upconverting amp though. Once he's gone digital it will do for PinP, I never bother with scart when installing. We use the cinemax 5 core, but then we have a couple of crimpling tools to terminate it with. Best to use ready terminated wire for DIY