What Cable do I need?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by (GTV)Chris, Jul 5, 2002.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    From my AUDIGY 5.1 card to my Yamaha amp.
    I am assuming it has to be digital. From mini Jack to Phono?
    Where can I get the best quality from?

Cheers

Chris

2. Michael_Hunt

Michael_Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have a look at www.maplin.co.uk they do all kinds of stuff including cables. They also make cables to your spec.
    Hope this helps.

3. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than use a 3.5mm-to-phono converter on the soundcard socket, the very best solution is to make a digital interconnect with a 3.5mm jack plug on one end and a phono plug on the other. You can also make it to the exact size you need.

This is what I did using RG59B/U coaxial cable and metal bodied plugs all bought from Maplin. Goes between my Soundblaster 4.1 and the digital input on my AV amp. As good as anything you can buy (maybe better as it eliminates the need for a convertor) and should cost about £3 all-in.

Allan

4. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your setup is the same as mine then you just need a mono3.5mm jack to phono lead. I doubt if paying anything more than a couple of pounds will elicit any performance benefit. I just hacked one end from a phono to phono hi-fi cable and soldered a 3.5mm jack in its place.

(Ducks for cover awaiting lightning bolts from the "I paid £4000 for my cable and it made at least a 1% difference in my hearing ability" department)

0's and 1's dont care about gold plating, oxygen free copper or the fact that Tim Henman will never win Wimbledon...they just wanna see connectivity:)