Question What cable do I need (Video Camera Recorder)

sea surfer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Follow up from this thread where I asked what cable I need But got no replies on my latest update as threads must die on HUD What cable do I need (Video Camera Recorder) - hotukdeals

I eventually got the cable , the first one the seller sent got lost in shipping. This was the cable I ordered:

amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Samsung-Audio-Camcorder-AD39-00001A/dp/B002EJ8S9K

Although the ends of the cable are yellow red black (see photo) and not yellow red WHITE like the photos on amazon suggest. Do I have the wrong cable or does the black for white not matter ?

on my tv box it has YELLOW for video and LEFT AUDIO white, right audio RED but I don’t have a white cable so I plugged black cable into left audio.

I can’t seem to get video to display and when both left and right audio are connected i get a buzzing noise, but when i take out the right audio i can hear it just fine,.but there is again no video. Is the cable faulty ? Maybe i should try a converter like the below and try HDMI:

amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MU6KHKB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IJ8WEbNMHR11J

but the connections on that are red white yellow and my cable is yellow, black and red

Attachments

• 5E57D4AE-1C5F-4DF6-9DB3-E655AFD22A05.jpeg
    5E57D4AE-1C5F-4DF6-9DB3-E655AFD22A05.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 16703A9E-07FE-406E-B8E4-343C7BC90BBA.jpeg
    16703A9E-07FE-406E-B8E4-343C7BC90BBA.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 54
I also got this converter today : amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MU6KHKB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IJ8WEbNMHR11J

but there is still no video and just audio when using this with the above cable

Difference between black and white is immaterial here (both colours are accepted standard).

What TV box are you connecting to?

I tried using the hdmi adapter on my Samsung plasma as I don’t have the white red yellow connections on that tv (model: PS50C7000YK)

I also tried the yellow black red connections on the other tv and it didn’t work

none of them display picture but both get sound

I tried using the hdmi adapter on my Samsung plasma as I don’t have the white red yellow connections on that tv (model: PS50C7000YK)
The TV does have an AV input (see page 9 of your manual) but requires an adapter cable to connect to the red, white, yellow of your camera. But as the camera doesn't seem to be working at present connected to your other TV not worth trying yet. Is there any menu on the camera to select video output?

I managed to get another camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV60E) but i also couldn't get a signal on the TV.

The sony has a firewire port so i purchased a PCIE firewire card and firewire cable. I didn't realise but my bigger tapes don't fit into the camera so i'm back to the start of my search. I do have some small tapes that fit into the camera and premier pro picks them up and i'm able to record those but i need a solution for the bigger tapes.

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 46
There are three different camcorder types that can all use those 8mm tapes - Video 8, Hi8 and Digital8. Hi8 camcorders will also play Video8 tapes and both are analog formats

Last edited:
What would i need to buy then to watch the bigger tapes from the Samsung camcorder on tv or even better record to pc? I must have spent over £40 trying to get this to work and made no progress.

Thanks for your help.

Depends whether your tapes are analog or digital recordings as both use exactly the same tapes

Digital8 recordings are not interchangeable with analog recordings, although many models of Digital8 equipment are able to play Hi8/Video8 analog recordings. (From Wikipedia 8 mm video format - Wikipedia)

To be certain of playing your tapes you require a Digital8 camcorder with Hi8/Video8 playback capability. Sorry cannot suggest any model as I have only ever played with DV and full sized VHS camcorders.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom